The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Re: Flywheel removal

Post by Lewes96 »

Ok - gotcha
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

On some jap bikes there are female threads in flywheels etc that match the thread on the rear axle, and a big heavy spacer as part of the rear wheel assembly which can thus be used as a slide hammer. It’s quite an elegant solution.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

SupermotoDave wrote:On some jap bikes there are female threads in flywheels etc that match the thread on the rear axle, and a big heavy spacer as part of the rear wheel assembly which can thus be used as a slide hammer. It’s quite an elegant solution.
Cunning. What's the thread of the 'bolt' that screws in to the puller? Might there be some scope for constructing a slide hammer from a long bolt or length of studding and a suitable spacer? When doing the Gilera clutch job my first attempt at freeing the loose stud was an M8 nut welded on to the nut, a length of M8 studding tightened in to that, another M8 nut and a large washer on the other end and the 'hammer' bit from my blind bearing puller set. All that did was eventually break the tack welds [1], but given a decent sized thread tight in the puller it might help apply the force in the right direction.

[1] On drilling the stud out I could see why. The peening over of the stud on the inside of the clutch hub was stronger than on a Morini I reckon, so the stripped thread was never going to come free.
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

And it’s off. Blowtorch (being careful not to heat down the holes in the flywheel and hit the coils behind), 5lb hammer onto the centre puller bolt, tighten some more, repeat and pop!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Lewes96 wrote:And it’s off. Blowtorch (being careful not to heat down the holes in the flywheel and hit the coils behind), 5lb hammer onto the centre puller bolt, tighten some more, repeat and pop!
Eureka!