Leaky oil filter cover

The 3 1/2 forum
Glennh

Leaky oil filter cover

Post by Glennh »

Is it just me or has anyone else suffered a leaky oil filter cover?
I have just changed the oil and fitted a new gasket to the oil filter cover. Went for a ride only to discover oil weeping from the cover joint. Fitted another new gasket but had the same problem. To me the gasket seems far too thick and stiff for the size of the cover and the 6mm fixings. These were new gaskets from Mdina so probably old NLM stock.
Anyone else had this experience? The faces of the cover and opening seem well machined so has anyone omitted the gasket and just used a smear of sealant?
mbmm350s

Re: Leaky oil filter cover

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Glenn
Never had that problem, in 39 years of Morini ownership.
Gaskets seem to be either green or dark grey, both work fine. Actually I rarely even replace them.
By the way the cover has a right way up.
I guess you need to check all faces are flat and true and that the screws aren't too long.
Mark
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Thanks for your reply Mark.
Faces are good and will double check length of fasteners. The gasket is green. I bought three at the same time so assume they come from the same batch. I’ve just put digital callipers over a new gasket and it measures 1.0mm thick over the fixing holes, however it measures 0.95mm across the narrowest part of the gasket. Possibly a dodgy batch of gaskets?
Your point re. the cover being the right way up, is it correct to have the recess in the cover to the bottom?
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Glenn
Your point re. the cover being the right way up, is it correct to have the recess in the cover to the bottom?
Yes that's right.
Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Never had a gasket leak and I rarely use a new one anyway. I scratch an arrow inside the cover as I never remember which way up . I take it the filter element is properly located at the inner end?
I just had a rummage through my box of gaskets and found an unused oil filter gasket,green at 1mm thick. I think from an Athena gasket set.
Not coming out via the 2 bolts?
John
Last edited by 3potjohn on 06 Aug 2020 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Glennh

Post by Glennh »

Thanks both for your replies.
I did have the cover the right way up but will mark it as suggested.
Have replaced the gasket again and ensured cover and crankcase faces are free of any debris and added a smear of grease. The leak doesn’t appear to be from the screws.
Off for a ride so will soon know if it’s fixed.
Thanks again.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

If all else fails, clean the gasket with brake cleaner and smear a thin layer of silicon each side. You might need to use a pin punch underneath to get it off again though as it will stick on very tight.
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Check the oil is not coming from the crankshaft seal! :)