FRONT BRAKE Update

The 3 1/2 forum

Re: FRONT BRAKE Update

Postby 3potjohn » 05 Sep 2020 16:38

The dodge with ATE swinging callipers is to put your foot in the spokes. One meets folk who claim they are really good.But then again you can also find people who claim T160s don’t leak oil.
Have no issues with my front disc but the rear picked up in short order when I put new pads in backalong.
John
3potjohn

Postby Seagreen » 23 Feb 2021 18:11

Hi, I have just fitted a 2012 Honda CBF 125 master cylinder to my 500 and am wondering whether I have a problem with the seals in the master cylnder (bought second hand) because no matter how much I bleed the system, the brake lever can always be pulled back to the bars - surely this cannot be correct? If I push the bike along and apply the front brake it does stop the bike pretty well but I am very concerned about the "excessive" lever movement. It is possible that I have still got some air in the system otherwise I guess that it must be leaking in the master cylinder. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks,
Charles
Seagreen

Postby Vitesse » 24 Feb 2021 09:47

Is the excessive travel matched by a delay before the brake has an effect? If so the problem might be the seals gripping the brake piston excessively thus pulling it too far back when you release. Thus it has to travel much further than it should every time. If the piston is clean it should self adjust (obviously) after every application to be close to the pad.
Vitesse

Postby Seagreen » 24 Feb 2021 10:36

Hi Vitesse,
Thanks for your reply and to answer your question, there is no obvious delay before the brake takes effect, seems pretty responsive but the lever will continue to travel back to the bars, if pulled relatively firmly (by no means is excessive force required to pull it back to the bars). This is a bit of concern to me as I have never had a bike that has a front brake that comes right back to the bars.
Will give it more bleeding today to see if I can improve it.
Thanks again,
Charles
Seagreen

Postby 3potjohn » 24 Feb 2021 12:48

Useful tricks in the absence of any seal leal include tying the lever back overnight or trying to fill the system using a syringe and tube on the bleed nipple. I have had bubbles coming out of the bleed nipple on my rear calliper due to air leak passing the threads, cured using a fine wrap of PTFE tape.
3potjohn

Postby dunk 1 » 24 Feb 2021 16:07

Hello - I spent a long time getting the front brake to bleed properly and in the end went for the same solution as John for the same reasons -PTFE tape to stop leakage around the bleed nipple. This coupled with with a modern suction brake bleeder and the improvement is considerable.
Duncan
dunk
dunk 1

Postby pedro » 24 Feb 2021 17:41

I understand that a smaller master cylinder is the way to go, but what about on a double disc setup, what size works best in that instance?
pedro

Previous

Return to Tre e mezzo