Rectangular Idiot Lights.

The 3 1/2 forum
Carts

Rectangular Idiot Lights.

Post by Carts »

Hi

I’ve done a couple of searches but couldn’t see a answer. The 3 rectangular idiot lights on 350, can you buy replacement anywhere. Just refurbishing the top yoke and taking mine out there quite tried.

Cheers
Carts
pedro

Re: Rectangular Idiot Lights.

Post by pedro »

NLM had them a few years back, but wanted silly money for them, about £15 each for a tiny bit of plastic which I baulked at. I presume they would have gone to M'dina.
Other than that, I couldn't find any.
Carts

Post by Carts »

Thanks, I did Cheka Medina web site but couldn’t see any.. I’ll email them
George 350

Post by George 350 »

For what its worth, there used to be someone on Ebay Italy who sold just the lenses. Might be worth a look there.
Ge.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Mark

Post by Mark »

As a last resort, ie, if your existing ones are cracked or broken anyway, and if you only require the actual coloured bit,the lens, if you are patient you can make your own.
From memory it requires 3mm Perspex, but check.
Cut out the little rectangles required, then bevel the edges with a fine file.
For the colours I seem to remember I used indelible felt pen, which I applied to the underside of the Perspex as I figured it would be less prone to wear that way.
It’s fiddly as you may imagine but after you’ve chucked away the first two attempts you’ll find you’ll be in the zone and they’ll turn out quite well.
I did mine about a year ago and they look easily as good as the somewhat faded ones on my other bike, which was good enough for me as I started with no lenses at all.
A tiny bit of glue will hold them in the housing, especially so if you make them an interference fit in the first place.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have previously polished the plastic using Farecla / Autoglym polish on cotton buds held in my dremel. Seemed to work.
John
Carts

Post by Carts »

Thanks all for your thoughts
park3164

Post by park3164 »

A further suggestion and an old school tip I was given was scrubbing their coloured faces with a toothbrush and toothpaste which cleans and polishes them. Plus scrubbing with the toothbrush and WD40 which oils and restores the plastic. Between toothpaste and WD40 mine came up a treat after 15minutes or 20mins of scrubbing per each little light while bored watching the tellie.
Fiona ('86 K2, '80 500W)
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi all,
If the lenses are faded but sound consider using green, red and blue T5 Leds, they are sooo cheap.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/produc ... 5938&_ss=r

And you can get the T5/286 holders too same as Land Rover defender. Not cheap for what they are but new ones don't fall out at each pot hole.

Mark