PHBL Excalibur RLX carbs on a '82 K?

The 3 1/2 forum
hendre

PHBL Excalibur RLX carbs on a '82 K?

Post by hendre »

Lo and behold the numbers below.....

The first column are the original VHBZ jets on my K, the second column PHBL jets recommended on http://www.morinispecial.it/ at some stage (data is gone now) , the second column factory PHBL outfit of Excalibur RLX '91 machines, confirmed on http://www.morinispecial.it/carburatori.htm

I have bought a set of Excalibur PHBL carbs to replace my bad VHBZ's. Can I just mount the Excalibur carbs on my '81 K and hit the road? Seems the main is much smaller than the original carbs.... or the recommended setup.

André
SupermotoDave

Re: PHBL Excalibur RLX carbs on a '82 K?

Post by SupermotoDave »

Question 1 - are the carbs from a 350 RLX?
Question 2 - are the carbs the same bore? 25mm?
My understanding is that the custom bikes used the same air filter as the off-roaders, and these came with a removable baffle in the air filter box. As standard they used smaller jets and if you remove the baffle then you needed to jet up to the usual sizes to compensate.
Others will know more specific details.

David
hendre

Post by hendre »

SupermotoDave wrote:Question 1 - are the carbs from a 350 RLX?
yes
SupermotoDave wrote:Question 2 - are the carbs the same bore? 25mm?
check, VHBH25 vs. PHBL25
SupermotoDave wrote:My understanding is that the custom bikes used the same air filter as the off-roaders, and these came with a removable baffle in the air filter box. As standard they used smaller jets and if you remove the baffle then you needed to jet up to the usual sizes to compensate.
Others will know more specific details.

David
Thanks for the info, what do you recommend (I have no experience with off-road parts)? Up the main to 112 and leave the rest as it is?

Grtz, André
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

I was given a pair of 112s for my Kanguro by the late Phil Smith, who claimed it was all you really needed, so I would start with that size for any 350 Morini. The later atomisers are probably better anyway.
The UK dellorto importers give good advice, you probably have an importer who would be able to help with recommended jets if they are selling them to you. Remember that new ones are a good start as jets do wear, and have also been known to be drilled out by previous owners too cheap to buy new ones.

David
hendre

Post by hendre »

I've installed the new carbs with 120 mains (I had laying around) and now it starts and runs but it picks up gas pretty bad. Once it revs it revs beautifully...

Any ideas?
Tom

Post by Tom »

10 Years later....almost!

Uhhh Hendre, how did things work out with the PHBL's?

I ordered 4 x 268 T atomisers for my PHBL's, but they won't fit since they are made for PHBH carbs (not L...)

So that makes the recommended list, one with an error as for the atomiser?

Tom
hendre

Post by hendre »

the K got sold and never driven by the next owner. He sold it on to a German seller of motorparts and they took it apart 3 years after I sold it... It ran good with the list numbers. Meybe there were also PHBL atomizers with 268T but they are not made anymore? I am sure the numbers were correct when I compiled the list...
Tom

Post by Tom »

hendre

Post by hendre »

yes, that is where the K ended it's life...