new to morini

The 3 1/2 forum
greenie60

new to morini

Post by greenie60 »

i've got myself a strada recently and i think i've discovered that my morini is probably very different to the next one. example. should i have a neutral light ?, a red oil pressure warning light ?, a front brake light ?, chrome or black steel/rubber indicator stalks. i have many other questions which i'll keep on the back burner for another day. help please
norbert

Re: new to morini

Post by norbert »

All these things depend on the year of production and if you have in mind to have a 100% original one (quite rare after all these years!). A foto and frame number would help a lot for orientation :wink:
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Welcome to the mysterious world of Morini! As Norbert says-all this depends on the year of your bike, what Luigi on the production line had to hand, what has been changed by well-meaning owners in the intervening decades plus what the broke, wore out or otherwise bodged up.
A lot of owners will personalise their bikes to their own fancy or to make it look older or newer.
As a rule though, there were no neutral lights till the early to mid 80's models and the same with oil pressure lights and front brake lights.
The indicator stalks should match the lamps (assuming they are still the CEV types) and rubber stalks were only very late on.
All the above doesn't matter of course, as long as it works and you like it. Morini owners tend to be less concerned about rivet counts (mostly anyway, there do seem to be more of them lately-and lovely people they are!)
If you can post a picture or two that will help, and if you can make it to the VMCC Founders day the club normally has a stand there.
Hope you enjoy your Morini!

Oh and the neutral light switches when they arrived were, shall we say, a bit Italian too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
greenie60

Post by greenie60 »

thanks for the info guys. no i wont be restoring to factory spec or highly polishing and new chroming bits on it. it is what it is and i like that way. i'm ok with not having neutral and oil lights just as long as i know that's how it was made. i actually love the individuality of it. i believe its a 1980 manufacture and an import.
cant seem to attach a pic here for some reason
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

A picture would be good.

You need to reduce the photo size to quite small. I use a jpeg reduction website. You can then attach a photo.

My 81 Strada has an electronic tacho, no neutral or oil lights, chromed plastic indicators. Others have black indicators, mechanical tachos etc.

Just enjoy the ride.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Hello, you are going to love it. As said, probably no neutral light, if you have a red light it may be to show it’s running!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mine has indicators, lights on and main beam.

I think the ignition on light was on earlier models.
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Mine is a '77 with an empty slot, ignition and main beam. The empty slot used to be indicators but they were so erratic and only worked when the sun was in the east and it was a full moon rising or something like that so as our MOT man said it was ok they were removed and stored.
Bought and sold many other bikes over the years but after 30 years we are still together.
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have a slightly later 350, a K1 and that has the oil light, indicator light ( mine have worked faultlessly), lights on and high beam lights.
The oil light comes on very rarely when running indicating that the sender has some muck in or needs replacing. I got a few in case from ebay and of course it has not happened since.
I think if it actually came on “for real “ it would be too late.
An even later Morini I have with very different wiring does not even have an oil sender fitted though the case could accept one.
greenie60

Post by greenie60 »

ok so i've ascertained i have no oil pressure warning light due to the fact i have no oil pressure switch/sender unit on the left side of engine.
so are we saying that these bikes (or at least some of them) have a green lights on warning lamp ?.
i have 3 oblong shaped warning indicators in the binnacle, green, red, blue. i have the blue full beam light. no red light as it has nothing in it and i think i have the green lights on light which maybe has fallen out on the binnacle.
if the above is correct then it all makes sense
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Sounds correct. It suggests yours is one of the earlier style with a red light to tell you that the ignition was on. Not unusual to have no bulb as the red could be annoying when riding at night. If there are a pair of wires "loose" near the socket (brown=switched 12v, blue=ground) that would confirm it, but as has been said, anything could have happened in the last 40+ years!
Glad you like it as it is, and enjoy.

George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
greenie60

Post by greenie60 »

i have 'spare', loose, unattached connectors floating about in mid air behind the clocks ! blue, brown, grey and yellow/green so possibly i am supposed to have an 'ignition on' light then. but what are the others ? possibly rev counter ?
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Wire colours from memory.
Blue = ground/earth
Grey = tacho signal feed
Brown = switched 12v
Green/yellow = light feed for smaller lights ( speedo/tacho illumination, side light and tail light.

It would be worth your while getting a copy of the wiring diagram . There are good colour versions on the members section, so if you aren't (yet) a member it would be worthwhile joining. You could also get a copy of the workshop manual there as well.

Regards,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
greenie60

Post by greenie60 »

i've got a wiring diagram but to be honest it's not entirely clear to me. my triumph sprint wiring diagram is brilliant so perhaps i'm expecting too much
Silverspur

Post by Silverspur »

My '74 Strada has red, blue and green.

The red is ignition 'on'; it's not a normal ignition light as it doesn't do out when the alternator starts charging. Bit useless really.
Green is lights 'on'.
Blue is main beam.

I've added another idiot light for indicators (not that it is visible in daylight as the clutch cable obscures it totally) which also balances up the lights into a symmetrical pattern as just three look like they've missed one out...