Strada carbs

The 3 1/2 forum
Michael S

Strada carbs

Post by Michael S »

Hi every one
I seem to have got my self in a muddle - not unusual!
I ultrasonically cleaned the carbs and found that the rear carb was a problem in that it did not provide any power for the first 1/8 approx carb lift and the two cylinders chimed in with a surge to full power and normal riding
Simple thought was that there was an incorrect adjustment of the slide stop. This did not appear to be the case so another ultrasonic clean of the carb was the next move.
Now I have a different problem. Despite putting a new float needle in (16 on one diagram I have) I cannot stop flooding of the float bowl. Copious flooding.
Am I making a schoolboy error somewhere?
All advice welcome
Michael
MickeyMoto

Re: Strada carbs

Post by MickeyMoto »

Did you replace the holder, too? You may find the needle has worn the holder and the new needle does not seal properly.

Or, by coincidence either the float has been holed or the lever pin is not seated properly and the float does not rise to the occassion. Check the float height, too, just in case.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

With the floatbowl removed and a suitable container under the carb, manually lifting the float with a fuel tap on then slowly lowering should determine if the needle is sealing and give some indication of float height.
It can be that the float is hanging up on the float bowl. There may be a witness mark inside the bowl or on the edge of the float. Of course you swap the parts around or refit the old needle and see if the fault follows. The new needle is the identical type to the old I take it.
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

Do you have the new white floats? If so have a look at them wether there are some ridges that can jam with the body of the carb bowl.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Hi MickyMoto - 3potjohn - norbet
Many thanks for the rapid response with good looking advice
Bit tied up with a ride out with Daughter on her Honda 400/4 and my Honda VT250T Xelvis today and shopping support for my dis-abled wife tomorrow so will get back to the job tomorrow pm
More later
Michael
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

400 four is a nice bike
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I always fancied a VT250
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Good afternoon each
Really good because the weather is good, I am temporarily off Gardening duty. I took a deep breath;
cleaned everything in sight with alcohol soaked cotton buds and after a meticulous inspection put it back together; slight tweak of the paddle that makes the connection to the needle because it was very slightly off line.
Decided to go for broke and put it together. Switched both taps on and bingo no extraneous petrol and a first press of the starter button a welcome cacophony. Tomorrow will see the deployment of the balancing kit.
Thanks for looking over my shoulder chaps; I find that such help rarely fails
Best regards
Michael