Hello and help!!

The 3 1/2 forum
fin

Hello and help!!

Post by fin »

Hi
Just got back in the saddle after many many years I owned a 350, and a 500 back in the 70,s and 80,s but then the family came along...you know the story.Anyways just got myself a gorgeous 350 sport that starts OK but has this weird problem with the electrics.
The ignition key allows the engine to run but the electrical system things like lights indicators and fuel tap suddenly disappear sometimes they come back sometimes they dont.
Ive checked all the wiring for loose connections.
Am thinking Ignition Switch?
Any suggestions?
In the mean time I am away to look at rejoining the Club seems to me you cant own a Morini and not join .
Last edited by fin on 12 Jul 2009 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
buzby

Post by buzby »

Welcome to the forum,

the ignition switch can be dismantled and cleaned quite easily but beware there are two small ball bearings inside which are easily lost !

hope this helps,
Dave.
stuart

weird electrical probs...

Post by stuart »

As I was riding two weeks ago, I noticed my indicators didn't work, nor headlight, nor anything else apart from the engine still ran! It transpired that the main wire from positive terminal of battery had cracked and broken (wires of 30+ years old go brittle!) which just proves that you can lose the battery TOTALLY and the bike will still run. It could even be that your battery has shorted/broken inside itself.
fin

Hello and help

Post by fin »

Will have a go at checking the Ignition switch and will also double check the battery leads.
Will also check the Regulator.
Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions
If I find out wihats wrong will post the result.
Jem

Post by Jem »

I'm not sure about old wire becoming brittle but I have had a number of problems caused by spade connectors breaking. The curled bit on one side of the "female" half breaking so it looks OK but isn't making a full connection. While you're at it make sure you have a good earth connection to the engine & alternator - don't rely on engine bolts & the frame. Run a wire with a "washer" connector from the crankcase bolt behind the rear cylinder straight to the battery. I had a lot of charging problems until I sussed these out.
fin

Post by fin »

Cheers Jem will do.
Steve Scott

Post by Steve Scott »

Does your bike have the later fusebox? They've been known to suffer corrosion and loose riveted connections.
1979 500 Sport