Torque Value for Head/rocker arms

The 3 1/2 forum
spub

Torque Value for Head/rocker arms

Post by spub »

The manual I have gives the following values for torquing down the rocker arm supports and the head nuts on the 3 1/2 head: 2.2 m/kg for the head nuts, and 1.2 m/kg for he rocker arm supports, both readings assuming threads lubricated with engine oil. The conversion charts I have looked up give a value of 1 m/kg = 7.23 ft/lbs. Using this chart, it would appear the value in foot pounds for the head nuts is 15.9 footpounds, and for the rocker arms 8.6 foot pounds. What values are used out there by those in the know? (I am not including myself as one of "those"). Also, does someone have torque value (in foot pounds) for the allen bolt (fifth fastener of the head)? Your help is much appreciated.

Also, upon dis-assembling the rockers on the rear head, I found one end of the rocker spindle (the end exiting the support block, not the other end which exits a rocker arm) had no washer as illustrated in the parts book, only the circlip. The manual gives a wafer thin rocker arm side play value of .05 to .15mm, however it would appear this is affected more by the location of the rocker arm supports on the studs rather than the end of the spindle that exits the support block, and since this spindle does not move, it would appear a washer at this location is not critical.

I know these are mundane questions, but I am use to working on Ducati bevels where an error in these matters amounts to thousands of dollars down the road......
1982 Laverda 180 Jota, 1974 Laverda SFC, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1992 Ducati Superlight, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1983 Moto Morini 500 SEI V Sport
EVguru

Re: Torque Value for Head/rocker arms

Post by EVguru »

The clearance for the rocker between the posts is set by the position of the posts. The clearance for the cantilevered rocker is set by sliding the rocker shaft through.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru