Bar-end weights

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Bar-end weights

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Folks, and a happy 2010 to all in Morini-land.
After a 250km ride last weekend on my 83 Sport (it's summer here!) I decided the vibration coming through the handlebars was too much: my right hand gets numb after 40 minutes. On the Moto Guzzi 400 I used to ride (a great bike) I fitted some Buzzetti bar-end weights that worked like a charm, so I am going to try some on the Morini. Trouble is I cannot remember which weight I used but have seen some at 170g and 280g each side.
Question: has anyone got these fitted, if so, which weight?
Thanks,
Dom
MRC 3082½
EVguru

Re: Bar-end weights

Post by EVguru »

I've ridden Morinis that just seemd to be 'Friday afternoon' examples and did vibrate, but most don't.

The engine isn't an inherantly vibratory design, so before trying to cure the symtoms, I'd advise looking for the underlying cause.

Carb balance (at part throttle, not just idle).

Ignition timing difference between front and rear (static and dynamic).

Valve clearances.

Compression.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

what he said, plus engine mounting bolts.

Steve
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Thank's Steve, how the hell did I forget engine bolts?!

It's usually me going on about them.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

EVguru wrote:Thank's Steve, how the hell did I forget engine bolts?!

It's usually me going on about them.
That's what I thought Paul, had to read it three times before I believed it! :wink: Happy new year anyway.

Steve
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I have checked my engine bolts and they were all like Fort Knox. I also checked my plugs and the rear pot was a beautiful sandy brown that for some unknown reason made me nostalgic for my old RD 250B. The front was almost black though, so I must be out of balance somewhere. I have no way of checking any of the other suggestions unless I book in with a mechanic so will wait until then. (Call me poor Jonny No-Shed.)

In any case, perhaps I was over-descriptive calling it "vibration". It's nothing like I imagine a bad Bonnie to be, more a tingle that builds up over time, but it still gets in the way of my Morini fun. :cry:
MRC 3082½
spub

Post by spub »

It would be helpful to know what you are used to based on past bikes. I have a Laverda 180 Triple so no matter how out of whack my Morini is, it is smooth as glass compared to my JOTA, which is a comparative jackhammer. If you are used to japanese in line 4s, the Morini will be a shaker in comparison, no matter how balanced you get the carbs. I have tried weights and bar snakes on both my JOTA and my Moto Guzzi (now that is a bike that is highly sensitive to unbalanced carbs), and while they dampen vibration to a degree, don't expect miracles. I do not find the vibration on my 3 1/2 Sport intrusive at all, and it really only shakes in a certain low rpm band. I have therefore not considered taking such measures, but again, this is based on what I am used to on the other bikes....
1982 Laverda 180 Jota, 1974 Laverda SFC, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1992 Ducati Superlight, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1983 Moto Morini 500 SEI V Sport
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Spub,
well it's all mostly been twins or my Lambretta - a '76 RD, the Guzzi V40, a BMW R80 - I like twins, sort-of because they do have some shake, they feel like bikes! I just want the happy medium where I can ride for longer than an hour without having to stop and flap my hand about on the roadside like a weirdo. I guess the vibes aren't bad if you just put your hands on the bars, but after an hour, it builds up.
The weights worked excellently on the V40, which was in fine balance, so I guess I'll try some on the Morini and report back.
MRC 3082½
MarcoPau

Post by MarcoPau »

I was about to buy a pair of bar end weights but then I hanged back. Have you eventually tried them?
Love is the Dance of Eternity
Jem

Post by Jem »

If you still want bar end weights try Disco Volante. They do them for £20 with weights from 150gr to 350gr
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi, yes, they are all fitted (just) and work well. I got some heavy Buzzetti ones (350g?). Lighter weights may work but I just cut out the middle-man and went for the heaviest. They don't interfere with that beautiful V-twin vibration that I love but the annoying tingle is gone. I did check all my engine bolts were secure and the bike was recently serviced and running well. Fitting was straightforward and I can now ride for more than 45 minutes without having to stop and shake my fingers.
Try them and if you decide to remove them they'll work on that other bike you are sure to one day own.
Happy Daddy
MRC 3082½