crankcase breather

The 3 1/2 forum
dogzbody

crankcase breather

Post by dogzbody »

Hi,have just picked up my first Morini, a 79 sport and after checking over the basics took it for a spin this morning. The only things that i picked up where a rattle on the front end on rough bits of road, this could just be the brake line or the speedo drive against the mudguard. The only concern that i have is that on returning after a 5 mile run there was a oil leak on the top crankcase on the nearside. This seems to be running from the pipe on the crankcase breather. Having removed the tank and seat, the 20mm pipe from the breather just finishes in an open end under the tank, and on removing the pipe i noticed that there is a 3 or 4 inch plastic dowel in it, which effectively prevents it breathing. This in my view could create a build up in crankcase pressure which could explain the oil leakage. My initial thoughts are to fit a non return valve, which would allow air out and keep the oil in. Any advice on the original set up would be appreciated Many thanks Barry
hendre

Re: crankcase breather

Post by hendre »

older Morini cranckcase vents just had a open tube with a metal spring in it... just remove the plug, if it is putting out excessive ammounts of oil your engine is in not very good shape. If you are worried about stuff coming into the crankcase, just install a K&N filter http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm :D
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Mine has a breather pipe also terminating under the tank.It has a set of "baffles" called a labyrinth in the parts book.I get nothing much out of it.I did think I had a slight weep from the base and tightened the jubilee clip a little.It turns out the weep is from the crankcase joint just near there. The breathers from the rocker covers are more productive however,with some water vapour/oil now and again but it's no more than a spit.
dogzbody

Post by dogzbody »

Am putting it down to the breather pipe being old and hard, and probably not tight on the breather, have dropped the oil and measured to confirm it wasnt over oiled. head breathers show a bit of condensation, Engine has done 17000 klms and shows no symptoms of being badly worn, will do a few trial runs this week, Barry