Morinis in Japan

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Morinis in Japan

Post by Daddy Dom »

I am quite curious to find out some more about ex-Japan 3narfs. Here in NZ we get lots of hardly-used vehicles imported from there.
My 1983 3FD Sport was imported from there to here with under 10k on the clock (16k now) apparently after a life spent in a museum - what sort, I do not know. I'm picking it would be an extremely highbrow art or design museum :lol:

It's mainly standard but between the clocks I have an extra idiot light (lucky me!), an LED that informs me I have reached 80kph - this is triggered by a small pin on the speedo face that the needle touches on its journey to the edge of the known universe.

Has anyone else come across this mod on their Morini or any other bikes? I just want to know, why???
Cheers,
DD
Attachments
Morini clocks small kb.jpg
Morini clocks small kb.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
MRC 3082½
boris tarpit

Re: Morinis in Japan

Post by boris tarpit »

Yes, my exgirlfriend's CBR400 had the same thing. I thought it was to indicate the speed at which the suspension started to work and the riding position made a warped kind of sense . . .

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Try this:

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-classes.html

It appears that 80 klicks is the expressway limit......

I thought that if the light was out you would be summarily executed for not being brave.

MM
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Just a thought, with a Vagueliar speedo, trying to stick to 80 klicks the needle would be wavering about so wildly that maybe the rider would have a seizure with the constant flashing of the light.

MM
hendre

Post by hendre »

I've never seen the funcky red line on the speedo (going from 80) on any other Morini... must be a Japan specail too! :mrgreen:
alan j

Post by alan j »

Maybe it's something to do with keeping out of the way of "brakeless" Toyota cars!! American speedos often have "markings to do with their speeding regs. :lol: :lol: