Japanese Molini - odd exhausts?

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Japanese Molini - odd exhausts?

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi, I have always suspected my ex-Japan bike may have odd exhausts, if they are wrong for my bike can anyone tell me which model these belong on? (I know the tank has a mis-matching colour scheme, too.)
Cheers,
DD
Attachments
Morini rear RHS.jpg
Morini rear RHS.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
MRC 3082½
hendre

Re: Japanese Molini - odd exhausts?

Post by hendre »

your tank is clearly a K2 or later tank and not K1 like the rest of the bike.

I thought all K1's had black headers and mufflers, the K2 had chrome stuff. So it could be that your bike was a transition model (a.k.a. we grab off the shelf what is available) and one of the previous owners put early style (pre '81) black mufflers on it.

I think I still have later style chrome mufflers (new), would you like to swap?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have a K1 like this,with the correct tank.No pinstriping as it's all Audi Lazer Red.It has black exhausts with black Sito silencers, I have one new left hand exhaust pipe which, when I tried to fit it noted it did not line up with the balance tube or silencer ,nor did the heatshield mounts match.So I guess maybe this one is for a 500? Furthermore the hole I thought I had detected in the old one turned out to be a piece of bright carbon-there wasn't a hole at all.I must be going senile.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi 3potjohn,

my guess is those pipes are 350 items but a different pattern. I have two sets as well, I only noticed the different bends, like you, after I tried to fit them. The older rear pipes drop down pretty well vertical (where the heat shield goes) and the later ones are more of an 'S' shape and drop down and back about an inch. On mine it's meant a lot more fettling to fit the rearsets too. If they were 500 pipes you'd have run into problems trying to assemble the castellated nut and half shells due to the larger diameter.

Steve.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.