Dumb Question re Speedometer

The 3 1/2 forum
Strada-Stu

Dumb Question re Speedometer

Post by Strada-Stu »

The speedo on my newly acquired '75 Strada is a thing of beauty but only marked in kmh. Using a portable GPS unit I have now calibrated it i.e. I know what speed it reads when the bike is actually moving at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 mph etc.

My question is: Is it a simple job to remove the glass in order to add some numbers to the speedo face to show mph? At present I have fixed some model-makers digits to the speedo glass to show mph but I can't say that they look very nice on the glass.

Thanks for any input.

SS
unreal

Re: Dumb Question re Speedometer

Post by unreal »

Hi, a few years ago I broke the glass on my speedo, it was some time ago but it wasn't too hard to get it apart (although I don't think it was designed to be dismantled). I'm afraid I can't recall the process but you should be OK, just don't force anything! Good luck.

Si
3potjohn

Re: Dumb Question re Speedometer

Post by 3potjohn »

You can get a converter e.g from NLM which screws onto the speedo drive unit at the wheel, then the speedo cable screws back onto that. If you do decide to open the speedo I'd suggest wearing rubber gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints on it as they're a nuisance after re-sealing it.