clutch seals and kickstart

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

clutch seals and kickstart

Post by dunk 1 »

I am replacing the clutch seals today to try and stop the oil leak the bike has had since i bought it - probably due to lack of hylomar on the shaft as this seems to be one of the few places PO hasn't put any, embarrasingly i have a spare washer -about 27 mm outer edge and abou19.5mm inner edge - anbout 0.7mm thick some where from the clutch assembly -around the drum/ primary drive assembly -- i normally write down next to everything where it comes from - in this case it must have seemed obvious and now i can't remember - age is a terrible thing. The kick start assembly came apart as I took off the outer casing - any thing i should look for specifically as I put it back together - it seems quite complex - yours in embarrassment - duncan
dunk
dunk 1

Re: clutch seals and kickstart

Post by dunk 1 »

after very careful perusing the washer does not appear in the blow ups in the parts book - is it possible it sits infront or behind the small seal as it has a very sight chamfer on one side and sits there nicely. would this have any point.
next -should there be a gasket between the left cover and the left hand crank case as there isn't but may be one in the morini riders parts catalogue - page -6 part 30 - its difficult to tell - duncan
dunk
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

There is supposed to be a gasket between the crankcase and the left hand cover.I found that due to lack of experience I had to remove and replace this cover a couple of times and ended up damaging the gasket, whilst keeping a close eye on the camshaft oilseal.I also couldn't figure out how to get the kickstart mechanism back in without it "exploding". I settled on sort of getting it it then assembling the cover but turning the kickstart lever a bit until it
" clicked " into the correct tension.I cannot describe this very well and still think there's room for improvement.As to your washer,its definately not a shim used to take up endfloat is it? It's nearly 2 years since I had mine apart so memory is fading.Someone will surely know.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

is it possible that this is then "hardened steel washer" described in the clutch adjustment section in the tips part of this website - if so where should that be located presumably the same place the shims to reduce end float should go but i am not entirely clear on this .- Makes you wonder -if PO was to tight to buy a gasket where else they may have skimped -its going to make me worry now and as i say it's been running well -Duncan
dunk
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

oops again - i took photos as i took the clutch apart and if you use logic the washer can clearly be seen in front of the small oil seal behind the thrust washer - so am assuming that this is a shim and will check the float on reassembly - sorry for time wasting - dunk
dunk
eekzoids

Post by eekzoids »

did you get the clutch shim kit from North Leicester? I did my clutch seal about 3 or 4 years ago and never had a problem with it since. Not very helpful of me to say this, but it wasn't that difficult. I will wip of my clutch cover and have a look it might jog my memory as to how I did it. As it happens I was planning to do a service in the next few days so it's not a big deal.