Wiring a new left-hand switch.

The 3 1/2 forum
tonup69

Wiring a new left-hand switch.

Post by tonup69 »

Hello all. As some of you may have read, I am transforming my recently purchased Strada into a fine looking little Sport look-alike. Actually, it will look better than a sport if I ever get done with it! While I am changing out the bars for Tommaselli clip-ons I decided to got with a more modern Ducati type switch for lights/horn/turn sigs/flash. I printed out the nice color wiring diagram for the 350 from http://www.morini-riders-club.com, but there is not enough detail about the individual switch connections for me to replace some of the components. Here is where I am stuck:

These are connections I am 95% sure about:
Right Turn Sig - Blue
Left Turn Sig - Green
Turn Sig Main - Orange
Horn Main - Red
Pass (high beam) - white
Low Beam - Black

These are connections I am not so sure of:
High Low Main - yellow
Horn Ground - (blue) - I assume the stock sw grounds on the bars so I will run a wire

Now, these wires from the junction box are still a mystery to me:
Gray Wire - goes to the Off/Park/Headlight side of the switch
Brown Wire - Also goes to that side
Purple wire - goes between the horn and flash connections on the bottom of the switch

So, my problem here is that the new switch doesn't seem to have anywhere to connect these three wires! The switch is a universal turn signal switch by K&S technologies. I bought it from Bevel Heaven here in the states (Ducati parts old/new).

As far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, the purple lead goes to the stop lamp switch and the brown lead is some sort of hot lead.

Any help or images or advice on how you did it appreciated.

Cheers,

Larry in Memphis, TN
tonup69

Re: Wiring a new left-hand switch.

Post by tonup69 »

BUMP.

Nobody wants to take a stab at this eh? I am going to resort to trial and error, but if anyone has tried a different switch, please let me know what you did.

cheers,

LTR
tonup69

Post by tonup69 »

Worked on this wiring mystery all week after work. I have the solution to the puzzle if anyone is interested:

Here is the finished product as well - Strada to Sport in 154 not so easy steps!

3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well done-the new switch looks good. I am using the originals.I am Ok with it apart from the lights as you can switch them off instead of dip main.Not that I am out at night much if I can avoid it.What I dislike is the way control cables run near wiring. I have had nasty moments where the sheathing has rubbed through causing short circuits and smoking wiring, not on a Morini however.I also decided to get a proper crimping tool and "japanese " connectors, the associated sheathing and "thinwall" wiring from Vehicle Wiring Products when I had to rectify some worn out wiring.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Hello tonup69 well done for sorting out your switch wiring. I am going to have the exact same problem for my 3.5 78' Strada as it came with a horrible old switch that looks all wrong.
What did you do with the Grey, Brown and Purple wires in the end?

Cliff
tonup69

Post by tonup69 »

When I get a moment I will post the puzzle solution (left the paper with the code in my garage). I took her on a 125 mile ride yesterday and she performed like a champ! Biggest problem I had was the wind (it was a windy day here in Memphis). Man that bike is light - I almost got stopped in my tracks a few times by a gust.

Cheers,

LTR
robint

Post by robint »

On my 78 Sport there is a Yamaha (I am lead to believe) LH switch for lights (on/off and main/dip), horn and indicators. Was on the bike when I got it and works fine and looks right as well. Though perhaps of no immediate help it seems the right place to post where the wires go.....

Switch to Harness or light
purple to purple (H)
yellow/black to yellow (H)
red to brown (H)
yellow to black (L)
green to white (L)
brown to green (H & L)
Brown/white to orange (H)
pink to red (H)
Dk green (Black??) to white/black (H & L)
Making tabs or tables doesn't seem to work.......

Next time I take bits off then I'll try to identify what does what exactly and add some pictures for posterity!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
tonup69

Post by tonup69 »

Here is what I did in the end:

Harness to Switch
Purple to Pink - Hot to horn
Black/White to Dark Green - Blinker Left
Green/Black to Brown - Blinker Right
Orange to Brown/White - Hot to Blinker
Gray to Orange/White - Hot to Lights
Yellow to Blue - Tail light on (no headlights)
Brown to X - Not used - ?
Red to Black - Horn
X to Yellow - High Beam
X to Green - Low Beam

This seems to work fine. Even the flash high beams lever works. Hope this helps.

LTR