Tarozzi Rearsets

The 3 1/2 forum
eekzoids

Tarozzi Rearsets

Post by eekzoids »

How many of you have fitted Tarozzi 'rear sets' ? I have only recently aquired my 3.5 Strada...my first ever Morini. Its lovely BUT the gear change is horendous..lever travel too long and finds neutrals very easily if you don't really swing your boot up. This makes gear changing really slow and completely spoils an otherwise wonderful bike. As I enjoy ducking and diving around London, there's a lot of gear changing, false neutrals,cursing and can even be dangerous when trying to pull out smartly and get away quick.
I read in an old ATG an article that said the rear sets improve the gear change...has anyone else found this to be so? As an underpaid school technician I can't afford to fork out for a set if they aren't any good. Has anyone in the London area got a bike set up with these that I could possibly try or even look at please?
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

I've rearsets on my 500 Sport - and it's a very natural riding position... any false neutrals are entirely rider error i.e. my clumsiness :wink:

If you can find a pair to fit on then I would at the drop of a hat :!:

Post by Jem »

the gear change on 72 degree V-twins is not the best in biker world. False neutrals ( between 2nd & 3rd?) and struggling to find the real neutral when stopped are common problems. The black art of setting up gear boxes was claimed by the late, great Phil Smith and NLM also offer a service but it requires a complete engine strip.
Adding Tarozzi rear sets is not straight forward and many members have reported they require "fitting" to work. More importantly, they only work with a kickstart from a Sport (very different from a Strada kick start) and an "extension" block which pushes the kickstart out so that it clears the brake lever & footrest; the last I heard is that NLM were out of stock of this crucial item. The club has considered having some made but hasn't come to a conclusion.

I would learn to live with it if your budget is limited. This is the only real weakness of Morinis and given their torquey engine gear changing is an option not a necessity - this isn't an LC for goodness sake!
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

This is another thing I am considering at the moment.

I had heard that the Tarozzis do not fit...

There is also the even more exotic Artesiani version, which alledgedly is superior......although still made from pigeon poo cast alloy :?

Having ridden from London to Manchester at a self-imposed modest speed......, I can say it would benefit from it. :wink:

TBH Probably not so critical for the milages I am likely to be doing from now on though.

Nige. 8)
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat.
KoP1

Post by KoP1 »

The Tarozzi's are OK so long as you have a kickstart combo that doesn't foul. I didn't. I also found the position with the Tarozzi's as standard a bit too "sti-up and beg". Solution was to cut and extend the Tarozzi's so they sit in the eye of the sub frame that would normally hold the pillion pegs.
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

I would like to take a skeet at that sometime, if you wouldn't mind?

Nige. 8)
KoP1

Post by KoP1 »

Nige

I sent a PM - with phone numbers - did you get it?

Andy
3narf

Post by 3narf »

The Artesiani ones were cast alloy, but vastly superior to the Tarozzis, which shatter into a million pieces with the merest of impacts. You could buy some of the difficult-to-manufacture bits from NLM, and make some plates from some decent aluminium alloy. It may even be as cheap to buy the whole thing and use the Tarozzi plates as a template.

You would need a bit of patience and fettling ability to fit rearsets (either type, if you could find any decent Artesianis). Same with any bike accessories that are not for a CBR600...

I would suggest that most gearchange problems originate with the clutch, unless you have a very low mileage (ie still tight) gearbox. The position of the lever/linkage etc (pushrods should be operating at as close to 90deg to the operating arm as possible) is also a factor but the gearboxes themselves can be thrown together (in my experience) and still work perfectly fine. Designed to be assembled by semi-skilled labour, you see...
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Sorry Andy.....

Have sent a repentant PM :? :oops:

Nige. 8)