Regulator

The 3 1/2 forum
Ralph

Regulator

Post by Ralph »

The Regulator on my early 3 1/2 Strada as died, I have a NLM one that is supposed
to do single and bi-phase systems, it says connect the red if you have one to terminal 1
on the regulator, does this mean if it is bi-phase the original regulator as 4 wires going
to it? mine as 3 two yellow from the alternator and 1 brown from a live switched by the
ignition switch, so is mine a single phase?

There are 4 wires from the alternator 1 is green for the ignition and so is nothing to do with charging,
Two are yellow and I know were they go.

The last is Red and goes to the fuse box the to the battery and ignition switch so the alternator as a live to it.
this wire as never gone to the org regulator. is it intended you connect a new wire to this and terminal 1?
what is confusing me is that there is a link wire in the kit but that goes from terminal 4 to red at the fuse
box so if I am intended to connect terminal 1 to the same wire why did they not include one as they have for the other?

Or am I intended to disconnect the red wire from the alternator from the fuse box and connect it to terminal 1 so disconnecting it from the battery ie direct from alternator to terminal 1 on the regulator.

Sorted I think more later.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Re: Regulator

Post by Ralph »

OK fixed for any interested the bike stopped charging but had a live to the org regulator and plenty output from the alternator, so I got a new regulator a updated one from NLM, it comes with a note on how to connect it and a link wire, it as 7 connections, one being earth were it and the earth wires bolt to the bike on the org mounting.

1 is Red it's the red from the alternator and is originally connected to the fuse box this is taken off the fuse box and goes to terminal 1 on the new regulator and is the wire I was not sure of it the first post.

2 and 3 are yellow and it does not matter which goes were but more later about this.

4 is the new Red link wire and goes to the red on the fuse box were you took the org red from for terminal 1

5 is the existing brown from the org regulator

6 is earth to frame mounting

7 is for a charge warning light that I have not fitted.

1,2,and 3 that's the red and 2 yellows from the alternator can be swapped in any combination on terminal 1,2, or 3,
and mine charged best with red on 3 and a yellow on 1 it balances the head light load at around 2500 rpm so it's worth swapping them around a bit.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Below is a link to the beast running with the new regulator, at first with no lights, the regulator seems to be set for about 13.8 volts and hits that at about 2000 rpm then with lights on it gets there at about 3000 revs and seems to balance the load around 2500 rpm ish, works out fine on the road, the volt meter is from a old 800/7 BMW it comes with its own mounting bolt that fits the same hole as the Morini badge, it as 3 wires a earth that goes to the bolt a light wire and sensor wire just connected the earth to the bolt the light wire and sensor together then to the feed to the fuel tap so its on a switched supply, and it's easily put back to standard when you get board with knowing its charging and watching it bounce about on its rubber mounting.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee11 ... CF5346.mp4
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
buzby

Post by buzby »

I found these posts very useful as the diagram NLM supply with a new regulator looks like it was drawn by a five year old child. :shock:
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
adrian650

Re: Regulator - OE voltage

Post by adrian650 »

The battery on my Strada had given up due to lack of attention for perhaps 5 years and I've just got a nice new AGM one. Hopefully I'll be fitting it soon and checking voltages etc, but I have a query before I do.

I seem to recall some discussion on whether the 2 phase 'switching' regulator had a tendency to give too high voltage, but now I can't find it. Can anyone refresh my memory on this? I suspect that the max advisable charging voltage would be 14.4V. Anyone tried altering the Zener in the OE regulator?

Trying to understand the circuit on http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/regelaar.pdf but finding it hard to work out the voltage at which the thyristors won't fire.

Adrian
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

On my Strada both the org reg and the NLM one have been fine,
I have a volt meter fitted the ORG one ran slightly higher than
the NLM one and both run slightly higher with the head light on
but non have been excessive, around 14v mine was fitted with
a ex alarm sealed battery for about 5 years and many miles with
no ill effects and those battery don't like over charging.
Hope this helps.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image