The 3 1/2 forum
Paul the Destroyer

Post by Paul the Destroyer »

Hi All

My name's Paul and I'm an alcohol...........bugger wrong place

I've just acquired a 75 Strada and will be asking lots of ridiculous questions.

Some people already know me as I'm mates with Martin Gelder and EV Guru. Mark B also knows me as well

I look forward to bringing my reputation for complete disaster to an Italian bike near you soon.

Forgive the carpy photography but I need to fix the gearchange before taking it somewhere nice for real photos

In the meantime all abuse is welcomed and positivley encouraged
Ho Grande Vento

Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
Idiot For Hire

My wife says I don't listen.........or something like that
John Bunting

Re: New Member

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Paul,
I liked your introduction - that line must go down well at an interview :roll: at least if you get problems with your bike your list of mates should be able to sort you out.
Look forward to reading more of your escapades
John
Tufftrax

Post by Tufftrax »

Welcome! Nice to see another Morini rider fairly close by - I'm in Peterborough. Your Strada looks very nice - enjoy riding her.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Paul, congratulations on your discerning choice of bike. You'll find Morinis very easy to work on - nothing that a lump hammer and cold chisel won't sort out... I'm sure you'll love it!

Cheers, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
trinder

Post by trinder »

Hi Paul,

I am new to the world of Morini's too. I had a good laugh at your intro, by the sounds of it I wouldn't want to sit too near a shelf that you had put up :lol: So far, I have found the 3 1/2 a doddle to work on compared to some of the Jap stuff. hope to see you about some time.

Neil
Paul the Destroyer

First bit of spanner flinging was accoplished yesterday morning.

The gearchange lever kept getting stuck during the last 10 miles of the journey from Kempton to Home last Saturday. So I had a quick look.

By removing the rearset linkage and fitting the standard peg the shaft moved as it should. So that meant the problem was with the Tarozzi pegs. Quite frankly after taking them apart I couldn't make them any better so I removed them and fitted the standard stuff, which handily came in a box of spares.

The gear change one was easy but not so the brake side. I quickly realised that exhaust downpipe would have to go So it was off with the silencer and loosen the clamp where the downpipe meets the crosstube. Would it move?................would it eck as like.

Bugger!!

So I removed the other side silencer and the undid the downpipe on the other side. Luckily I had a C spanner that fitted so there was no hammer drift action. I still couldn't get the downpipes out of the cross tube, so it was time for what I do best. Using a combination of psychology and extreme violence I inserted an large lever between the front downpipe and the frame and "gently" levered the exhaust apart until it was free. I then managed to wriggle it all out.

Replacing the brake lever and footpeg was easy after that, although the peg was bent upwards a smidge. This calls for the scaffold pole I thought but after removing the peg rubber it was flat at the very end. So using Thor, King of Hammers, I managed to straighten it.

The exhaust went back on using the lever and spread method and the jobs a good 'un.

Now I just need the snow to vanish so I can try it.
Ho Grande Vento

Idiot For Hire

shambeko

Post by shambeko »

Hi Paul, and welcome.
I'm pretty new to this Morini lark as well, well about 9 months or so.
I had a similar problem when I first fitted the Tarozzi rearsets. After about 20 miles my gear shift would get very stiff (ooh err missus!) I would get home remove it put it back, would work great, and then it would do it again next ride. Had me baffled for a while, then noticed that the big knurled nut was getting loose and pushing against the lever making it difficult to move the lever. Originally I had tightened this with circlip pliers, obviously not enough. I retightened with some pipe wrenches and easily turned at least a full turn extra. Put a bit of Loctite on as well. Not had any problem since.
Might be different to your problem, but may help
Si
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Hi Paul - welcome to the world of morini's from an asker obvious questions on the forum- I find that my tarozzi rear sets need regular maintenance to keep them from the problems you seem to be experiencing. The two main ones seem to be that the peg needs regular greasing where the t shaped chrome tube with the thread on it turns around it - this may need gentle persuading to separate from the peg. Also the knurled chrome ring needs to be tight toward the change leaver away from the main body of the bike but without threadlock keeps trying to return back - affecting changing - all irrelevant if you're happy with the normal pegs as I was when mine was in strada form but it's not often I get to give advice - dunk
In the time it took me to write this someone has given the same advice suppose it shows how helpful we all are
dunk
Paul the Destroyer

I'll probably give them a good fettle soonish and see what happens.

In the mean time I'll try the standard pegs etc and see how it goes.

My biggest problem was that my left foot was too big for the footpeg
Ho Grande Vento

Idiot For Hire

MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My 500 has tarozzis, the brake one was fine when cold but as the bike warmed, the brake lever would get stuck down when pressed. I moved the washer from behind the nut to between the 2 halves of the pivot.

Mike.