Tank problem

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

Tank problem

Post by dunk 1 »

Hello - the paint on my tank has bubbled on one side around the fixing for the badges I repainted it not especially well about two years ago and will probably get it done professionally next time. At the same time as I painted it I sealed it inside with POR - even though it didn't need it - seemed like a good idea at the time. I need to decide whether the bubbling is due to the weather - it does live outside - or pinhole's which will mean a messy removal of the old seal and replacement - any tips on how to decide if it's due to fuel and not weather would be welcome - thanks - Dunk
dunk
trinder

Re: Tank problem

Post by trinder »

That is a tricky one. the only sure way to tell if you have a pinhole in the tank is to have it pressure tested, which ideally should be done on an unsealed tank. there have been endless threads on the Matchless forum regarding tank sealant and pinhole leaks, which is one of the reasons I have resisted using tank sealant.

The only way to be sure is to remove the POR, (lengthy and tedious process) :( :roll: have the tank pressure tested and if sound re-paint. If not sound have repaired and re-paint. In my experience, the quick cheap fix is not usually the best one.

Neil
3potjohn

Re: Tank problem

Post by 3potjohn »

On my original K tank I had a fuel weep.This was from a pinhole leak.In general these are likely to form along the lower edges or around the petrol tap bases.I tried sealing with POR 15, which I have used on 3 bikes and 1 lawnmower to great effect. Eventually I have acquired 2 more tanks so have something to play with. Turning to my first tank I stripped the paint and the POR15 using nitromors.This does work well but I'd advise caution and eye protection as it seems to get in through my wellies and gloves eventually. Most unpleasant.Surprised they let you buy it.
Anyhow once cleaned out I found at least 30 pinholes! None more than 1-2cm from the edge seams but also all around the brass petrol tap inserts. So this one went to the dump.
My advice then is to remove paint from the suspect area first because I would expect a fuel weep to smell and stain brownish.
I never get bits of POR or other particluate matter in my in line filters so think it is a good product if used correctly.