Correct tick over speed

The 3 1/2 forum
trinder

Correct tick over speed

Post by trinder »

I need to set the tick over up correctly on my Strada, and whilst the 'blue book' goes through the principles, it is a little ambiguous as it only mentions at the end of the passage 'set to the correct tick over'. The only mention of RPM is at the beginning when it says 'set the tick over approximately to 2000 RPM'.

Is 2000 RPM the correct tick over? I have a set of vacuum gauges, and will be adjusting the pilot mixture as directed, but confirmation of recommended tick over speed would be greatly appreciated .

Neil
Paul the Destroyer

Re: Correct tick over speed

Post by Paul the Destroyer »

I would say 2,000 rpm is a little high.

If I was setting a 4 stroke up I would have the tickover set to around 1,000 ish possibly just under when warm.

hope that helps and I'm sure the mopre experienced of the boarders here will prove me wrong :D
Ho Grande Vento

Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
Idiot For Hire

My wife says I don't listen.........or something like that
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Reliable idle speed with the standard capacitive discharge ignition is around 1500-1750 rpm. If you have an inductive ignition, or NLM's improved pickup you may be able to get a much lower reliable idle.

Check your valve clearances before synchronising the carbs and the engine should be at well warmed up. If your bike is fitted with a balance pipe between the carbs then take it off and connect your vacuum gauges instead. On earlier bikes remove the blanking plugs from the inlet manifolds. With the rubber inlet manifolds they may not have had the vacuum port drilled if they've been replaced.

If I'm setting up carbs from scratch, I'll do the cable synchronisation first. I find the inline cable adjusters are often too loose to give consistent results and don't find it too difficult to use the adjusters on top of the carbs even with the tank in place. Next I'll do the slide stops setting both the idle speed and synchronisation. If you had a balance pipe, then refitting it will cause the idle speed to rise quite a bit. Lowering the idle back down looses the synchronisation so I'll place one hand on the back of the rear madguard and tune for minimum vibration. On my own bikes I tend to remove the balance pipe and blank off the stubs. It was ony fitted to make the engine less sensitive to carb balance, but I find they're better off without it.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Harry

Post by Harry »

My 500's generally tick over at 1250 when warm and 350's used to tick over at 1350. You really need to make sure that cables are lubricated and free especially when turning handle bars. Also do as Evguru does and remove balance pipe and blank off, you cannot synchronize if carbs are connected, adjustments to one upset the other. If you really are having difficulty then you are welcome to pop over and I will shew you the Arthur Farrow tried and tested method for perfect balancing, I am 17miles the other side of Kidderminster from you.
trinder

Post by trinder »

OK Harry, if I run into problems, I will drop you a PM and make arrangements to drop by and take you up on your kind offer 8) 8)

Neil
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

erm, my Vagueliar tacho swings between 800 and 2500 rpm at tickover, so just listen and get a reliable tickover without stalling that doesn't sound too fast....