What Oil?

The 3 1/2 forum
Alfonso70

What Oil?

Post by Alfonso70 »

Hi, a simple question which i am sure has been asked many thimes before, but what oil do people recommend for the 350's now? I used to use Castrol Magnetex, but wonder what peoples thoughts are?

I've often wondered whether the club should put together a "Tips and HInts" page showing things like plug types, oils, tyre pressures etc. My Dad had an Austin Seven and that club produced a lovely fact sheet when you joined full and that hints, specs...i know its easy to say when you have nothing to do with the organisation of a club or website, but it was just a thought?

Cheers, Tony
MarkB

Re: What Oil?

Post by MarkB »

Hi Alfonso, I'm sure many people will have their own favourites, but Halfords semi-synthetic 10/40W is recommended.

Similarly, there will be different recommendations for tyre manufacturer and pressure, spark plugs etc. It's quite enjoyable to trawl back through the old posts on the forum to see what people have suggested.

Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Tufftrax

Post by Tufftrax »

As a relatively new Morini owner (350K, since April last year) I also pondered on this before oil and filter change last November so contacted the experts (NLM). Stuart advised using Motul 5100 (Ester) 10W40 as used at their workshop.
It's not the cheapest but comes in a 4 litre container and discounts can be had if obtained through Opie Oils.
Mine is still clean and clear and seems to do the job perfectly.

Keith
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Alfonso70 wrote:I've often wondered whether the club should put together a "Tips and HInts" page showing things like plug types, oils, tyre pressures etc.
Tyre pressures.

Start with the manufacturers recommendation and work down from there.

The 'correct' pressure is largely dependent on tyre construction which is constantly being changed.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Tufftrax

Post by Tufftrax »

I agree on tyre pressures completely. The original booklet quotes fairly low pressures (around 24psi front & 25psi rear) with "original" tyres as fitted in the early 1970's. My bike is fitted with Avon Roadriders and at these pressures felt pretty awful.

After researching the Avon website I found the recommended pressures to be 29psi (front) and 36psi (rear) and the ride is much better now.

So my advice would be to stick to the current tyre manufacturer's guidance for safety's sake.