OUCH! (nearly)

The 3 1/2 forum
trinder

OUCH! (nearly)

Post by trinder »

:shock: Rode over to NLM today to have an annoying flat spot on my carbs sorted and a new lug welded on to the frame, or so I thought. I was alarmed to find out that the primary drive nut on the crankshaft was loose and was the cause of an unidentifiable (to me) knock when the engine was started and running at low revs.

This followed the unexpected news from Alex that my Strada was not a Strada, but in fact a Sport and with the peakier cam the Armour S/steel exhaust cans were not suited to the Sport engine. Further joyful news was that all of the jets in the carbs were original and more suited to sunny Italy than our shores and good old fashioned proper petrol not the tree hugger stuff we have to put up with now.

So after a bit of consideration, I decided to change the cans for the original seam welded variety which would suit the engine more and obviously have all the correct jetting done at the same time. however, when Alex started the engine and heard the knock he immediately shut her down and declared that the Primary drive nut was loose and if I had been unfortunate there could be a lot of expensive damage :cry:

At this time I went up to the parts dept fulfilling my job as gofer, and I happened to see a AJS twin parked outside, when I got to the top of the stairs, I met the owner who I found out to be Steve Brown with whom I had been carrying out a lengthy correspondence on the Ajay/Matchie forum and who was instrumental in introducing me to the wonderful world of Morinisti along with Alan Jennings. It was a real pleasure to meet you at last Steve :wink:

Alex was also on a tight schedule as he had a flying lesson booked for that afternoon and had to be finished for 13.30 and he had not factored the time in for a primary drive strip-down and examination. When the sump plug was removed, there was no sign of any ground up metal adhering to the magnetic sump plug that the previous owner had installed only an M6 washer, but from where? I must say that I was starting to feel doubtful that I would be riding home. However, Alex, aided by Ellis and Olly stripped her down and replaced the shonky nut and Woodruff key re built her before I could scuttle across the road for some more carb bits. Now came the nail biting moment when Alex asked Ellis to fill her up with oil and then he turned on the ignition and pressed the electric leg button.......

I was expecting to hear the sound of tortured big end shells as Alex told me prior to strip down that the primary drive nut also drove the oil pump. Buuuut, all we heard was the sweet sound of the engine minus the 'orrible knock' After checking the ignition timing and balancing and setting up the carbs, Alex took her for a road test. when he came back, he had a smile on his face so all had gone well.

After parting with a not unreasonable, but hefty 500 notes including 3.5 hours labour, I mounted up and started my Journey home. However, after reaching the M42 without mishap she started to run very rough on one pot, so I turned her around and Hied myself to NLM again. Olly soon found the culprit, Champion plugs! don't use em in a Morini they are shite :evil:

After a very pleasant scratch through the Leicestershire countryside, I finally got home, lighter of pocket yes, but have met some very professional and knowledgeable people and had the opportunity to have escaped a bolloxed engine so :D :D all round .... A Tutto Gas :)
valentini

Re: NLM - full praise

Post by valentini »

On all the occasions that I have visited N.L.M. they are true professionals, they do everything they can to get you back onto the road. Nothing is too much trouble and they always make you so welcome.
What would we do without them???????
Long may they continue. :D

I'm glad that they were able to help you and that your 'OUCH' was a nearly!!!

What a good account of your experience

Cheers, Paul
Steve Brown

Re: OUCH! (nearly)

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Neil, glad to meet you too-even more glad that you're still in love with your Morini! I wouldn't want to be responsible for encouraging you to buy a lemon. I do that enough for myself :oops: My Camel is nearly usable now, still need to sort out a rear shock for it. And yes, I really was at work when you rang, but no I'm not a vicar. Just saintly.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Harry

Post by Harry »

They say, fools are easily parted from their money.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Harry wrote:They say, fools are easily parted from their money.
Oh, are you looking for a five minute argument or the full half hour?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
trinder

Post by trinder »

Harry wrote:They say, fools are easily parted from their money.
Is that a dig at me or Steve, Harry? I don't believe I have been particularly foolish. I drove a hard bargain for my Strada which turns out to be a Sport, all parts fitted to the original owners requirements, everything except the paint, tyres and the exhaust end cans is original. The work done on it and the cost of the parts replaced recently is modest in comparison to my last BMW K1200 GT SE.

I have a bike that has risen in value from the findings at NLM and with a bit more modest fettling could be increased further in value, so how could that be considered foolish? The only foolish bit was mine not recognising a potentially terminal fault through ignorance of the marque which luckily was avoided.