Newish member with a 3 1/2 Sport

The 3 1/2 forum
Richard A

Newish member with a 3 1/2 Sport

Post by Richard A »

I'm going to be rolling up my sleeves and getting stuck into my 3 1/2 Sport this year, so, although I joined nearly a year ago, I thought I'd introduce myself and my bike a bit because I'm sure I'm going to be trying members' patience quite a lot this year.

I bought a '75 double drum from NLM this time last year (thankfully for somewhat less than one went for recently), but working away from home meant that I had little time to ride it last year other than a few hundred miles on familiarisation and to convince myself that I had done the right thing. Fortunately I had, it's a great little ride, even for a fairly big guy like me, despite my aged brain struggling to establish neural paths to accomodate the right foot change (actually it's the left foot braking that's more of a problem, esp. in emergencies). I thought the box was riddled with false neutrals at first until I'd lowered the angle of the lever a bit to get a more positive upstroke and adapted to the slower change - now I'm hardly getting any, which is a relief. Also, I'm quite enjoying the action of the drum brake now that I've adapted to the self servo effect (it's my first bike with a front drum brake).

The bike was imported by NLM in 2001 and sold to an owner in Dursley, who sold it back to NLM prior to me buying it. It carries a sticker on the front mudguard suggesting that it came originally from Concessionario Bonacchi Learco of Pistoia in Tuscany. It presents quite well, with a recent paint job on the tank and side panels, good wheels, mudguards and seat but the paintwork on the frame is poor, so, depending on how successful my touching up is this year, I might well strip it next winter for a proper frame repaint.

I went for a double drum, while realising that the later disc braked versions are better all rounders, because I like the look of the things and, during my teenage years when everyone else fancied larger, more fashionable machines, there was something about this giant killing 350 with its odd model name that really appealed to me. I didn't actually get a license until my late 20s (so not born again, just born very late) by which time I was into 2-valve BMW GSs (which I still am) and had somewhat forgotten about my earlier Italian passion. About 9 years ago I bought a Gilera Nuovo Saturno (I'd always fancied one) which brought the revelation that not only could I fit onto a smallish sports bike but I could actually enjoy riding them as well. The Saturno is a keeper, but having a bit of spare cash around last year gave me the chance to try something similar and when I got to thinking about it, I remembered the old Morini enthusiasm and here I am.

Aside from the swing arm greasing thread I just posted, the next challenge is getting the carbs to co-operate with each other and the engine. Currently, the bike is becoming increasingly ready to stall at tickover when hot (a major pain in traffic and junctions, although I've now mastered left foot kicking while astride the bike sometimes getting back into neutral is tricky) and is a bit rougher at part throttle around the 4000/5000 rpm mark than I really think it should be. There are some good threads on carb balancing and such and I might start another to record my experiences - just got to find my lost strobe gun to pre-check the ignition timing before I start and wait until the neighbours are out when I'm in!
Broadbandylegs

Re: Newish member with a 3 1/2 Sport

Post by Broadbandylegs »

Richard - we must have been separated at birth. D/D 350 Sport and a Saturno - motorcycle doppelgangers!

Your thoughts of when you were a teenager echoed mine back then - I was at sea and saved my pennies one trip to buy a new 350 Sport as I just loved them. I used to hang out with Trident, Z650 and Yam XS owners and was never left behind, except on motorway runs.

I bought my Saturno a few years back after a 2 year search and last year I also managed to get hold of a 74 Sport with a 375 conversion. Both smashing bikes in different ways and both superbly styled. I admire their looks all the time.

At least I now know I'm not the only obsessive!
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

Broadbandylegs wrote:Richard - we must have been separated at birth. D/D 350 Sport and a Saturno - motorcycle doppelgangers!
Blimey, Broadbandylegs, I see we even joined these boards around the same time!

I don't know if you are on The Gen, but there's been a mention of an article in this month's 'Practical Sportsbikes' which compares the Saturno with the Yam SZR 660 and Bimota BB1. I bought a copy and let's just say that the test conclusion suggests that we are gentlemen of taste!

I'm enjoying the way the Morini's riding position is similar to the Saturno's which feels just right for a light sports bike (my record so far is 220 miles on one day ride out to the west and back - OK, my neck muscles were going a bit by the end, but I was otherwise OK).

The Gen also mentions the MRC's 30th Aniversary Cadwell Track Day on 15th June, so there seems to be a fair crossover between marque enthusiasts.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Richard A wrote: The Gen also mentions the MRC's 30th Aniversary Cadwell Track Day on 15th June, so there seems to be a fair crossover between marque enthusiasts.
Indeed there is. When there was an actual Gilera Network rather than just the current cyber one we used to hold the AGM on the same weekend as the MRC for a few years. Numerous Gileras circulated at the Morini Cadwell bash in the mid 90's.

I was chatting with Bob Wright the other day. I'm glad Practical Sportsbikes found a Saturno owner willing to let them borrow it. They were after my GFR but at the time I only had the one on the road and that wasn't in a state to pass another MoT quickly for their test. Now I have dug the other one out of the shed I might offer them the loan of it.

As to reluctance to idle when hot, in my experience that can also be a sign of the stator ignition coil windings starting to break down, but if it starts OK perhaps all is well. The balancing act is well worth the time and effort.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Take a look at the idle jets. They may need to be leaned out for modern fuel (I'm running 43s).

A hole in the mid range can be due to weak ignition, but can again be mixture. A change of atomiser is often the cure.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

72degrees wrote:
Richard A wrote: As to reluctance to idle when hot, in my experience that can also be a sign of the stator ignition coil windings starting to break down, but if it starts OK perhaps all is well. The balancing act is well worth the time and effort.
Yes, I was wondering about that. I guess if I can't tune out the problem, I will need to consider that. It does seem to kick in to life reasonably well when hot (which reduces traffic queue embarassment levels), even with this current reluctance to idle, so hopefully that isn't it, but I'm learning to keep an open mind.
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

EVguru wrote:Take a look at the idle jets. They may need to be leaned out for modern fuel (I'm running 43s).

A hole in the mid range can be due to weak ignition, but can again be mixture. A change of atomiser is often the cure.
Thanks, sounds like I need to assemble a collection of Dellorto bits and bobs before they disappear. Atomisers seem to come up quite often in carb discussions. With luck, I'll have some time over the Easter break to check the jet sizes. I've promised the bike a good long ride when I've got this sorted (I've heard Luton is pleasant in the spring!).
Broadbandylegs

Post by Broadbandylegs »

Must try and get hold of the magazine - not much written about the Saturno. Presumably because not many around. Great bike though!
I have tarozzi adjustable bars on the Morini in deference to my advancing years so relatively comfortable position. I also put a Ducati left hand switch gear on for easier control of flashers etc.

Hope you get your carbs sorted.
Rob

Blimey, Broadbandylegs, I see we even joined these boards around the same time!

I don't know if you are on The Gen, but there's been a mention of an article in this month's 'Practical Sportsbikes' which compares the Saturno with the Yam SZR 660 and Bimota BB1. I bought a copy and let's just say that the test conclusion suggests that we are gentlemen of taste!

I'm enjoying the way the Morini's riding position is similar to the Saturno's which feels just right for a light sports bike (my record so far is 220 miles on one day ride out to the west and back - OK, my neck muscles were going a bit by the end, but I was otherwise OK).

The Gen also mentions the MRC's 30th Aniversary Cadwell Track Day on 15th June, so there seems to be a fair crossover between marque enthusiasts.[/quote]