Front Pantah discs

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Front Pantah discs

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi All,
I have read the posts regarding the substitution of Morini front discs for Pantah ones, as well as noting that NLM now supply replacements. The latter solution is uneconomic for me as I live in NZ but as pair of drilled Pantah discs has come up locally. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =463344886. They are slightly different to the floating ones some peeps have already fitted so can anyone see any reason why they wouldn't work on my 83 Sport?
Thanks in advance
Dom
MRC 3082½
Jem

Re: Front Pantah discs

Post by Jem »

Dom,

I have one of Roy Thursby's floating discs which is great; it floats, is light weight & it brakes!

This deal doesn't seem a bargain: they're expensive & don't float and you could still need a spacer to fit the caliper offset. You could spend as much adapting these as buying something that fits.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Thanks for your suggestion, Jem.
Trouble is, I would need two (eventually three) of Roy's then the GPO wants about 100 quid to send them to NZ. The cost of my local ones works out about 80 of your quid and the seller says the offset is correct anyway, as shown on other sites.
We just don't have the luxury of choice here that you do in the UK (unless it's sheep or wine) so substitution keeps things going when the "right" part is not viable.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
mgill

Post by mgill »

I run a single Pantah disc on the front of my 76 wire wheel race bike.
Works great. Cast iron rusts. Five minutes with some emery cloth to the spacer (washer)
And it fit perfect.
MRC #2795
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Matthew,
do you mean an extra washer/spacer that I'd have to find, or are you referring to one that is already there with the Morini disc?
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
mgill

Post by mgill »

The spacer between the caliper and fork. If I recall correctly I had to take
about .75mm off for the caliper to line up with the disc... Now that I think
of it.... Pretty sure I had to take the same off the other tab on the caliper to get it straight.
Was very easy to sort, and I'm very pleased with it.
MRC #2795