Timing Belt supplier

The 3 1/2 forum
Alfonso70

Timing Belt supplier

Post by Alfonso70 »

Hi , I hope someone can help. I need to fit a new timing belt to my 350 (its a “B” grade) but as I live in Spain I cannot easily pop into a bike shop or belt suppliers to get one. Can anyone tell me what belt I need (ie size/code) so I can get my Dad (back in the UK) to get one from his local belt supplier. I think I remember someone mentioning that they used a “Gates” belt? Or does someone know anywhere online I can order one from?
I realise I could get one from a well known Morini shop but they do seem very expensive to me.
Cheers, Tony
EVguru

Re: Timing Belt supplier

Post by EVguru »

Alfonso70 wrote:Hi , I hope someone can help. I need to fit a new timing belt to my 350 (its a “B” grade) but as I live in Spain I cannot easily pop into a bike shop or belt suppliers to get one. Can anyone tell me what belt I need (ie size/code) so I can get my Dad (back in the UK) to get one from his local belt supplier. I think I remember someone mentioning that they used a “Gates” belt? Or does someone know anywhere online I can order one from?
I realise I could get one from a well known Morini shop but they do seem very expensive to me.
Cheers, Tony
124L075 = 124 tooth - 3/8" pitch - 0.75" width

Surely there is an online supplier in Spain?

I use Gates belts from; http://www.beelineengineering.com/ they do mail order.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Alfonso70

Post by Alfonso70 »

Hi, thank you very much for your quick response i have emailed beeline for a price etc, i also found someone on line who sells the same make as the one fitted which came from a Morini dealer (but at a much more expensive price!).

With regard to getting one here, i think the chance would be slim, the internet is still very much in its infancy here and very few companies are on line, let along with e-commerce. Next time i go to our local city i will try and find a belt supplier and see if they have them (now i know the size i need).

Many thanks again, Tony
stillooking

Post by stillooking »

Perhaps visit a local industrial transmission/bearing factors to you in Spain, you should be able to pick one up there as they are std size & common.
Morizzi

Post by Morizzi »

EVguru wrote: 124L075 = 124 tooth - 3/8" pitch - 0.75" width

I use Gates belts from; http://www.beelineengineering.com/ they do mail order.
Not my understanding.

124 = 12.4" length, L = profile, square teeth one sided at appropriate 3/8 spacing, 075 = 0.75" width.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Morizzi wrote: Not my understanding.

124 = 12.4" length, L = profile, square teeth one sided at appropriate 3/8 spacing, 075 = 0.75" width.
Sorry yes, it's a 33 tooth belt. Exactly 3/8" pitch wich equates to a pitch length of 12.375"
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Just to add to this. I've found a local supplier for the Gates Belt that Paul mentions he gets from Beeline. They are Brammer ... http://www.brammer.co.uk/ ... their website is cr*p at showing all their products, as is the DVD based manual they let me have, even when copied to my PC :roll: I paid about £15 to collect at their local office (about a 5 minute drive), where I think that NLM ask about £35. It's the Gates 'Powergrip' they supplied, with the code that Paul mentions above. Their web site does let you enter your postcode to find their local (UK) office so you may well have one nearby.

To the OP, they do have a Spanish office so you try searching on 'brammer spain' and see what comes up.

HTH someone.
Dave
Carpe diem .....
buzby

Post by buzby »

I bought two Gates belts today at my local Brammer branch.Very good service. :)
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
HoveActually

Post by HoveActually »

Last edited by HoveActually on 12 Jun 2012 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
AndyB
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

I bought a Powergrip timing belt for my bike the other week which cost £17 more or less. From what I understand they’re a good quality product. How does the Goodyear belt stand up by comparison? I have to say, I like the price of the Goodyear. Tight? Me?
HoveActually

Post by HoveActually »

My Strada has a NLM supplied Megadyne belt - 'A' fitment, cost over £35 incl P&P.
A standard (1 size fits all?) HTC/Goodyear belt is fitted to my Sport - 'B' fitment, cost ~£10 incl P&P!
At a ~£20+ saving I'm thinking I can change belts annually rather than every couple of years.
Belts seem identical in appearance (except for markings obviously) and fit really well, both having no more than 3mm play when new.
I opted for the NLM belt for the Strada since I understood the 'A' fitment is the shortest and was concerned an unmeasured / ungraded belt may be too loose from the outset. I shall be trying a HTC belt on the Strada in the near future when its next dose of TLC is due. I'll report on fit in due course.
Tight maybe, but that's down to the Scots blood on my mothers side. :D
AndyB
Alfonso70

Post by Alfonso70 »

Just to update, my Dad managed to get me a couple of Fenner belts for my 350, but sadly when i fitted them they both had more than 6mm of play. So i have had to order one from NLM for fear of speanding more money on belts that are no good. Interesting the man at the belt shop in Northampton where my Dad bought them from had never heard of subsizes for belts! The one fitted that came from Megadine and had a B stamped on it, but they have not replied to my email asking about subsizes.

but i guess as running costs go a belt from NLM ever couple of years is not that expensive :o)
adrian650

Post by adrian650 »

Pity your 'standard' items didn't work out. I tend to use 'RS' as their stock is dated and seems to turnover. Price is <£4, code 474-9793 and fit my Strada and Kanguro. Both are 'B' though.

I'm sure they deal across all postal areas! The P&P isn't cheap if you don't have an account but there is always something else worth ordering to make it worthwhile.

Adrian
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hello all.
I’ve just received a quote for cam belts from Beeline Engineering.
I gave them the dimensions Paul quoted.
Based on the comments here, can I assume that belts bought from them will be an acceptable fit for the original belt, be it A,B or C?
Thanks,
Mark.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hola Alfonso

in spain as well you will easily find a 124 L correa from Optibelt or other producers in shops of automocion or bearings. The only thing is that the are not measured (A,B o C). Normaly they cost about 10€. None of all the industrial 124L belts from Optobelt, Gates, Pirelli or whatever are specified for use in gasoline motors. That´s the reason why we should change them ervery 20 000km or after 2 years. In germany we do have some contacts to Optibelt and sometimes they make a special edition of the 124L for us out of better material (more resistent to heat , oil and gasoline and a better basic structure). But the problem,that they are not measured stays the same. To specify them to A,B,C is what makes them expensive if you buy them from Morini dealers. Usualy they procuce rolls of about 50 cm or more. And there is a certain difference also in between the same roll. Because of that problem the pinions A,B,C were invented. That´s what we found out after years of investigation with the help of an ingeneur from Optibelt and Lambertini himself. Tambien puedes echar un vistazo al enlace algo epico siguiente: http://www.lamaneta.org/forolamaneta/vi ... =64&t=8616

:wink: norbert