Engine finish

The 3 1/2 forum
Monstyr

Engine finish

Post by Monstyr »

While my strada is still in bits and is probably going to remain so until next year I've been musing on the engine which is sitting on a bench in my garage.
While I'd like it to be cleaned up and polished this is a huge amount of work that I will never have the time to complete,I've no intention of splitting an engine that was running when I removed it so only the side covers and anything removable have this as an option. I've been considering painting it, especially as one of the cylinder heads seems to be a replacement and is a different colour already.

What do you suggest?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
unreal

Re: Engine finish

Post by unreal »

There was a bit in Classic Bike Guide about a company call Cryogenesis, they use dry ice particles to blast clean machinery, because there's not grit used it can be used on complete assemblies, looks good.
No idea of cost though.
http://www.cryogenesis.co.uk/in-house.php

Simon
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

What is that blue stuff in the background?
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

The blue stuff is photoshopped. :wink:

While blasting it would be an ideal solution theres nowhere near me that can do this( only rough shot blasting) and I doubt whether its feasible to post the whole engine anywhere.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't tell whether or not they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

The only bits that were polished on the original 3.5 engine were the rocker covers and the outside parts of the pick up, clutch and engine covers. Try some good quality metal polish with a buffer (or if you've not got that - and I haven't - a toothbrush applicator and cleanish rag as a polisher...).

Put the covers on, and wash the rest with an engine degreasant. A cleaner engine that'll run just as well as the shiniest; what more do we need! Don't forget fresh oil worked around the engine before running it in earnest - and it might need care for the first few 100 miles to bed in all over again.

Good luck, and how do you get that "photoshop app" down here in the sunny south :? ???

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

When you've done all the above, (I've also had Jif and Scotchbrite pads recommended to me), check these cool little brushes out. http://www.machinerycleanery.com/
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½