Starter motor relay

The 3 1/2 forum
Daddy Dom

Starter motor relay

Post by Daddy Dom »

I just hear a clicking when trying to use my electric starter so will try replacing the relay. Is this a generic part or do I need something with exact specs? What have others used as a replacement?
Thanks,
Dom
MRC 3082½
morini500dave

Re: Starter motor relay

Post by morini500dave »

Hi,Clicking may mean that your battery is low on power :?: so dont right it off yet.Try riding your bike a reasonal distance to see if the battery has been charged,of put it on charge before trying again :!: Personally my 500's relay was a Bosch original and it more or less melted inside and was unrepairable so I fitted a spare I had from a Kawasaki which works fine.
Hope this helps :?: Dave.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Battery's all good. I know I can use a generic part but can't provide any suppliers with specs when asked.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

You can get a plastic bodied relay which can work but it isn't designed to fit into the bracket nor is it water proof. I have cut an old relay up and epoxied the plastic relay into the metal housing in a bid to mount it. In the end I got an old Morini type relay and opened it up by prying the metal crimp, and cleaned up the contacts. Once this worked for a while then they burned out,on another it has worked OK for a year. i also got a guzzi one which looks like it will fit onto the frame bracket but the contacts were diferent ,requiring me to alter the terminal connectors. Have not tried it yet.

5 minutes later....
Right I have been into the garage:
plastic type relay=Durite 0-727-10 12v 100A. It is square and this put the front nearer the engine so I worried about it. It is epoxied into an old housing so will still mount as standard and I filled the underside with sealant.Tried to mount under seat but no room and frightened of the main power lead shorting out.
Guzzi one has a metal case and a similar bracket with T1577 8L 12 v on.Don't know what amperage it is.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi, thanks for that, John.
I opened the old Bosch relay and cleaned it out yesterday but there was nothing that looked arced or damaged. Instead, now when I push the button my whole electrical system goes limp (idiot lights very dim, bike won't go) but then takes about 5 minutes to regain strength and all it tickety-boo so the power is going somewhere ... but where!?

It starts extremely well on the kick (touch wood) so I may just gain myself a 10kilo weight-loss quite soon :D
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
HoveActually

Post by HoveActually »

Sounds like it could be the starter motor / mechanism that is the problem.
If the relay (starter solenoid) clicks and the electrical system (battery) dies, then the starter motor is likely stalled / drawing excessive current. To prove this disconnect cable between relay & starter.
Solution - remove and overhaul starter motor / chain drive / clutch mechanism. The brushes & commutator on my motor were filthy / covered with black gunge - cleaned up like new and with chain / centrifugal clutch mechanism properly adjusted, engine starting is instantaneous, hot or cold. Don't forget to check oil level in starter motor gearbox. Oh and to give the limp Morini electrics maximum assistance make sure ALL earth connections are clean / abraded with emery and receive a smear of vaseline. :oops: :wink:
AndyB
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Thanks Andy,
yes, that sounds about right. I'm sure the whole thing needs a strip and fettle, new chain, heavy shoes, oil and oil-seal/s. At least it's a job I can do and still ride the bike as it's my main transport.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
HoveActually

Post by HoveActually »

I think you will be very unlucky if you have to do as much as you suggest.
All I had to do was clean the black gunge from the commutator, brushes, brush carrier; top up starter motor gearbox oil and adjust chain. Nothing needed replacing. I did very gently roughen up the clutch linings (careful not to remove too much material!) only because I can't resist fiddling.
AndyB
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

That's a good heads-up, thanks. I'll do all that and see how I go. It's on my big list of jobs for end of the year.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½