Supercharger Mounted on Morini 350

The 3 1/2 forum
smotorboy

Supercharger Mounted on Morini 350

Post by smotorboy »

Supercharger is now married to the chassis backbone and properly lined up with the crankshaft end.

Alloy blower intake and pressure manifolds are finished and nest just right between the cylinders.

OH'd carburetor is done with custom cables fitted, and the throttle action is smooth as butter.

I'm finishing up the engineering drawings for fabricating custom belt drive pulleys and a new flywheel .

I'm beginning to see the point this Fall where I can finally crank this thing up.....

Robert in California
Attachments
P1010148reduced.jpg
P1010148reduced.jpg (246.5 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
brianh0_4

Re: Supercharger Mounted on Morini 350

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hey Robert,
Looks a nice fit. What CFM have you estimated? And what size carb, 35mm??
I don't know so much about the 'Roots' type supercharger, does it use more engine power to drive it than a centrifugal or axial type compressor? But then again maybe there is no option???
Brian.
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Good eye on the Carb,,,it's a 34mm...........

I'm gearing the blower to net 1.4 or 1.5 bar above the engine's normal air thru flow. However, this is just a paper estimate as the Moroni's cam profile will affect the boost as well as several other factors.... One has to just try a setup and adjust from there.

Mechanical superchargers soak up about the same power at the same boost levels, but they make boost in different places in the engine's operating speed range.

Roots types are good from idle on up, but are crude and less efficient usually,,, centrifugal types need lots of rpm, but they are easy on fuel consumption at low speeds. Axial type cost and complexity rule them out most of the time....and one has to have a size of blower available that will work well with a particular engine size...this is usually the main sticking point.

I'm going for standing kilometer and standing mile records so I need power available from the start line...This is why Roots Blowers rule in drag strip racing at the highest levels....

Robert in California
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hmm, very interesting information.
That sounds quite high boost pressure, are you going to try strada pistons and cam, or softer?? Also are you going to use flat top pistons?

Brian.
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Yikes, I stated the boost pressure badly...I meant to say 1.4 to 1.5 bar absolute pressure, which is only .4 to .5 bar above normal...

Flat Top pistons for sure,,,, the supercharge will put the dynamic compression back to 11:1 or so

I'm starting with the "M' cam and will go from there,, I have an "L" cam on hand which will be tried after I get numbers on the "M"........

Robert
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Supercharger drive system is finished and "dry" fitted on the engine after several variations were tested.... The Gates "Poly-chain" system has proven to be the best and the most expensive to work with,,,of course.

I had two driven pulleys done so That I'll have two ratios to select from at Bonneville.....120% Overdrive and 135% Overdrive

Check out the new flywheel,,,, 4130 chrome-moly steel,,, I'll be marking the flywheel with timing marks in the next few days and modifying the Rt. Case to clear the drive belt.

The Cafe Seat is finished and I'll post a picture of the whole bike soon....

Robert in California
Attachments
Bdrive2.jpg
Bdrive2.jpg (224.01 KiB) Viewed 5709 times