Tyre recommendations please

The 3 1/2 forum
Tufftrax

Tyre recommendations please

Post by Tufftrax »

My Morini 350K Sport will soon require new tyres and I would like recommendations from other riders as to suggested replacements. It is currently shod with Avon Roadriders which are fine but thought I'd enquire of others before purchasing new ones - will obviously need new tubes too.

Also, do you guys fit your own tyres or leave to the "professionals"? - I'm worried about having my alloy rims damaged by a third party. I haven't changed bike tyres for many years but seem to remember it being a fairly easy job with the right tools (decent tyre levers and plenty of lube to protect the rim and tyre bead).
dvhttn

Re: Tyre recommendations please

Post by dvhttn »

Got Roadriders myself and they seem absolutely fine, though haven't worn a set out yet to comment on longevity .... (note to self: must get out more ... :oops: ).

As for fitting I always use the tyre supplier, or a local mechanic. They're more used to doing it and have all the kit. I personally gave up on fitting bike tyres when I reached a (Jap) 250. Too much hard work as they couldn't be forced on/off the rim with Mum's best cutlery ... 8)
Dave
Carpe diem .....
Morizzi

Post by Morizzi »

It is very hard to go past Bridgestone BT45's. The rear is a dual compound tyre. Fronts tend to cup a bit at half life but they still stick.

Avon Road riders are old technology. Not many tyres are used for front and rear any more with just a reversal of direction.

Tyres are very subjective but you won't get me on another Roadrider.
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

Another vote for Bridgestone BT45s here. Most tyre places that sell bike tyres will also fit them free (or very cheaply) to loose wheels and are much more experienced at it than the rest of us. I can't remember the last time I fitted a new tyre myself...
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I've usd BT45s on 3 bikes which seemd to work, in as much as I have remained in contact with the road most of the time. But i now have a Roadrider on the rear following a puncture whilst going around a roundabout.Which was nice.The offending metal object went throuh the tread and tried to exit the sidewall. Having got this fitted I immediately did 250 miles,and noticed nothing different.
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

I'm after new tyres too. The front is a michelin S21 3.25X18 so really old. What is the recommended 'new' size? 90/90X18,?? or is that too small?
Never liked Jap tyres even the very latest lack 'feel' when pushing them. So are there any Pirelli"s that are any good? or contis or Meztlers???
Thanks
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have Dunrop TT100s (Made In Yapan) on my 500. They do a good job, but need to compare with other tyres. They are bloody expensive. Have used BT45s on anothr bike, found them good. Are there any bad tyres from the major manufacturers?

I notice that 90/90-18 and 100/90-18 available from Pirelli, Michelin, Avon, Continental, Bridgestone, Dunlop.... no idea if they are the correct tyres...

Look on ebay, some companies offer pairs.... I have used roundandblack in the past - no connection, other companies available, the BBC is impartial etc etc etc

For tubes I use either Michelin or Continental. Also available on ebay....
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I've been running Avons since I put my 77 Sport on the road about 8 years ago.

Alex at NLM recommended the then current Roadrunners and the've always performed well for me. Even well worn and way past their best I was riding a very wet Cadwell pretty hard albeit with a certain amount of squirming from the back end.

This year with new Roadriders was brilliant. I never found the limit even in the last session where the rain was bouncing back up by six inches!

I run 90/90 front and 110/90 rear at 32 and 34psi.

The BT45s seem to need a lot more pressure, more like 36psi. I rode around the outside of Phil's 500 Daytona race bike at Mansfield in the wet because he wasn't confident on his new BT45s because he was running them at the kind of pressures his previous Pirellis liked.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

brianh0_4 wrote: Never liked Jap tyres even the very latest lack 'feel' when pushing them.
That was true 30 years ago, but today you might find the 'very latest' Japanese tyres are actually quite good, and certainly not lacking in feel.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Just took some Brigestones off a 'new' ST2 i bought, with less than 1000 miles on them, they were horrible. Pirelli Diablos are just so much better, and the Rosso II tyres are amazing. Similar to using the original Phantoms after the standard 'Supersports' orginally fitted to the Morinis.
But i guess it depends on how you use your bike and how it's set up, plus each person has a different 'feel'.
PS my wife prefers Pirellis too!!!
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I recently put a Pirelli 'City Demon' on the back of the 2C/375. Seems quite good despite not being 'sporty'. The only problem now is that the 350 2:1 exhaust system that sticks out too far and low grounds with even more ease as I found at Cadwell. Anyone know a good custom exhaust fettler in the West Midlands who might 'tweak' it for me. I could set to with angle-grinder, hacksaw and lump hammer but this is a shiny new (well been to Dijon and back) NLM stainless job.