Direction of engine rotation in manual

The 3 1/2 forum
j2maria

Direction of engine rotation in manual

Post by j2maria »

On page 69 of my copy of the manual, in the section on setting valve timing when the cases have been apart, it says to "turn the camshaft in the normal direction of rotation (i.e. clockwise when seen from the left side of the engine) until...."

When looked at from the left side of the engine, turning the camshaft, and therefore, the crank via the belt, clockwise would imply that the engine's normal direction of rotation is backwards. BUT,this would mean that the clutch drum geared to the primary gear on crank rotates forwards which then implies that the gearbox output shaft, and hence the rear sprocket, rotates backwards! Also, diag. 22A on page 22 (Ignition Timing) shows a directional arrow on the flywheel on the right hand side of the engine pointing forwards/clockwise. Finally, ANT1 which should be around 34deg BTDC is obviously in front of the PMS1 (TDC) mark which it should be if the engine rotates forwards - i.e. the flywheel turns clockwise when seen from the right hand side of the engine, consistent with the drawing AND the directional arrow cast into the flywheel.

So, does it look like the user manual is incorrect on page 69 and that it should read that the normal direction of rotation of the engine is forwards, i.e. anti-clockwise when seen from the left side of the engine?

Joe
mgelder

Re: Direction of engine rotation in manual

Post by mgelder »

The Italian text in brackets says "clockwise viewed from the side with the belt" so it looks like the translation is wrong and common sense is right.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
j2maria

Post by j2maria »

Aah! Grazie tante, which when translated into English is still thank you very much!

Joe
swtuggle

Post by swtuggle »

Having replaced the cambelt on my 507, I can second the statement that it's a clockwise rotation from the right side.

Steve