Odyssey Battery ( PC680 ) care?

The 3 1/2 forum
mhsilverw

Odyssey Battery ( PC680 ) care?

Post by mhsilverw »

I am considering fitting a PC680 Odyssey, after the old acid type on my bike has expired, and hasnt managed to make it back to life.

I have an Optimate 111, an Oxford Oximiser and an Accumate charger which I have used when the bike(s) are in the garage. Either short periods between use (days) or maybe longer dormant spells the bike has in the garage i.e. over winter when riding days lessen (well they do for me, these days!).

The bike is currently (or was) hooked up to the Oxford charger, until I removed the battery pending fitting it's replacement.

Does any one know or can confirm if it's ok to use one of these on the Odyssey type battery whilst its laid up/standing in the garage? :?:

A bit confused about the Odyssey :oops: some readings on the 'web' say the Odyssey can be left connected and not charged at all; and others writings suggest some owners connect these 'battery tenders/trickle chargers' to them.

I gather these batteries are often fitted to Beemers, Guzzi's, Laverda's as well as Morini...so maybe if you dont have one in the Morini you may have one in another bike!

As the PC680 seems to fit the Morini, hopefully someone can advise how to cater for charging when the bikes in the garage.

Kind Regards

Mark
Last edited by mhsilverw on 02 Nov 2012 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
John Bunting

Re: Odyssey Battery ( PC680 ) care?

Post by John Bunting »

Hi Mark
I have Odyssey and MotoBatt glass mat batteries in Bikes and have used Optimate and cheap solar chargers bought from Maplins
The glass mat batteries will hold their charge much longer than old type lead acid, so can be left for long periods and still start your bike, they also have more cranking amps to do the job.
My Odyssey is now 4 years old so although costly to buy is still going strong.
Cheers
John
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Get your self on of the cheap timers and set it to turn the charger on for a hour a day.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

. . That's a good idea Ralph :idea: one I shall use . . . While we're on the subject does anyone know if it is necessary to disconnect the battery leads to avoid ruining the regulator?? It's something I do as a matter of course but I know Morini regs are set up differently . . .
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I've never disconnected the battery leads on my 375/2C other than to change the battery in 30 years. I can't see a proper trickle charger being a problem and I regularly used an Optimate and now a cheap Aldi 'smart charger'.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

A phantom load can easily kill a battery, particularly the AGM types (like the Odyssey) which can be difficult or even almost impossible to re-charge with special techniques/equipment.

This is why so many modern bikes have problems. The alarms and/or immobilisers, or even just a clock coupled with low and intermittent use often result in an overdischarged battery.

An old Morini should be just fine, when it's off it's off, but a faulty ignition switch, or even just road salt contaminated wiring can cause a problem.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

. . . I meant is it necessary to disconnect the battery when charging it. I was told it buggers up the voltage regulator on cars, I was wondering if Morinis suffer the same problem . . .
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I've never damaged a voltage regulator on a bike or car by using a properly designed trickle charger. I've even resurrected a connected Westco car battery from absolute nothing (due to a car alarm) by using an ancient needle on a dial up to 8 amps charger for a few minutes to get it to the point it would take a charge from an Optimate. The battery is still fine 3 years later (the old style Clifford alarm was ripped out as it drew more current dis-armed than armed) and the diodes in the car alternator (97 Mazda MX5 with 115000 miles on the clock) are still fine.

I did, however, have a problem with the alternator on my Toyota Granvia camper van after using a cheap solar panel charger. After a weekend away in it the diodes were fried. To be fair that was probably because I had the stupid idea of hooking up two of the panels (in parallel!) as I was connected to a 240v camp site supply and the leisure battery and fridge didn't need any help from a solar panel.

The timer idea is clever, but in my experience some of the 'smart' chargers reset if you disconnect the mains and have to have a button prodded to get them working again. In the case of the older Optimates you had to touch the clips together to reset them. Never leave the older Optimates connected when not switched on as the LED will eventually drain the battery. If your mains power goes off and back on in a cut you may never realise. I'm told the latest generation and Ctek chargers don't suffer from this. I make sure my cheap Aldi or Lidl version is disconnecetd if not actually charging.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I've had my bike for about 4 years now so still comparative to my beemers,brand new. it came with a PC680 and though I have put the fly leads onto allow a trickle charger to be quickly connected, it's never indicated it needed charging.The lights all seem to function and dont twitch when the indicators are on so that's all I need.Even the coffee grinder starts the engine without fail(tempting fate here)
I have not been on it much lately due to other issues but it seems sound electric wise.At least i don't have an analogue clock ticking away on this bike unlike those beemers.At least they didn't fit cuckoo clocks.....
mhsilverw

Post by mhsilverw »

3potjohn wrote:...At least i don't have an analogue clock ticking away on this bike unlike those beemers.At least they didn't fit cuckoo clocks.....
What beemer(s)? K-3 or 4, R airhead/oilhead or a single perhaps?

Sounds encouraging, gather they are quite heavy batteries...still with my weight on the K sport not sure I will be challenging for any speed records, unlike some Darts on the forum! - maybe an all up weight or smallest power to weight ratio :oops:

M
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Nothing too old-a rough R100RS and a 60/7 that's just decided to spin a rear wheel bearing.How simple by comparison to do my Morini wheel bearings last year.
mhsilverw

Post by mhsilverw »

R60 (probably any of the 600's) very nice bikes I recall. 40hp or thereabuts? Long ago had a /6 (with the drum brakes) and very nice it was too. Seemed to recall it preferred 4-star back in the day. Not as 'vibey' as the bigger boxers and not really much down on british roads. Lovely.

I think when I sold my 60/6 long ago I moved to a 'sportised' strada from Benjy. At the time it was a revalation - lighter weight and a lovely torquey ride. Great handling and performance and went most places the 600 had - more sprigtly and fun as well as more fuel efficient. Both good bikes in my mind.

I remember having to give my twin brother a lif back from Wales (as far west as you could go without getting wet!) on the Morini when his DT175MX holed a piston. We set off and I'd said I'd stop when the bike needed fuel. As the Morini was so good on petrol we must have crossed Wales and was into the Cotswold area before a stop (on the way back to London area). Twin was a bit uncomfy (and cross!) and remarked that the 600 beemer would have been better if I'd kept it...I recall mentioning that the Strada two up was better than walking!

Mark