fork issue. help

The 3 1/2 forum
benshannon

fork issue. help

Post by benshannon »

I have just ridden 200 miles down to jersey,for a long weekend touring the island. Have just got
to the place we are staying to find the forks and softer than usual, they make a squelch noise when i bounce
then and i think a seal is leaking on the left stanchion.

am i going to be ok riding around on this until i get home?

will this be an expensive job to solve?

cheers
'It must be a .....'

Re: fork issue. help

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, Morini/Marzocchi fork seals are a common size and are no plroblem to replace. First I'd check the ammount of oil in the forks and top them up just to get home this weekend provided any leaking oil isn't reaching the brakes, tyres etc.
In the early 90s I had a leaking fork seal and as I didn't receive the new seals the day before going on holiday I reasoned that simply topping them up would aviod any fork wear.
In the end I opted to change the oil to see how much I'd lost, which wasn't that much given the mess on the forks.
The oil I used (ELF) obviously contained an additive to preserve/condition the seals as it cured the leak and the seals then lasted for several years.

Hope this helps, chill and enjoy!

PS I've tried already to reply to your post but I couldn't save the draft: admin?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

If you are getting a significant loss onto a brake I'd think about cable tying something absorbant (like the england goalmouth) around it. I would suggest the use of gaiters in future if not already fitted.There may be a chip on the chrome stanchion, which you can dress out. Don't suppose the seal has come up out of its normal position?
Anyhow look on the bright side-it isn't raining
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

Thanks guys.

we got home ok.

so, i plan to do this fix myself. does anyone have any info on changing oil seals in strada forks? any help greatfully recieved

cheers
Broadbandylegs

Post by Broadbandylegs »

Just did mine at the weekend - half a day and all done. No special tools.
Forks off the bike.
Drain old oil.
Bottom bolt out - slider off.
Circlip pulls out.
Two seals each fork - pop out easy enough.
Inspect & clean internals as best you can.
Tap new seals in - lip down for both. Circlip back in.
Reassemble, refill with oil and back on the bike.

While the forks were off I took the opportunity to tidy up cable routing and wiring behind the headlamp shell.

Hope that helps and good luck!
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

legend, thank you. shall have a go for sure
unreal

Post by unreal »

Hi, I have the Marzocchi manual for the forks.
Here's a link to it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ep2q3lbq99v2uo/forks.pdf

Hope this helps, it's pretty straightforward. Most new seals are twin lipped (they used to be single hence 2 seals), some people use one new twin lip and one old worn one as a spacer. Two twin seals in each leg can create a bit of striction in the forks.

Simon
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have two 2 seals at present but also intend to switch to a single seal approach next time i need to replace them for that reason.
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

hey guys, thanks for all your help. i managed to do it myself and saved myself 150 quid. you were all a great help