Washers for swinging arm?

The 3 1/2 forum
bobajob

Washers for swinging arm?

Post by bobajob »

I'm in the process of putting my 1976 strada back together. Does anyone know if there should be any washers between the swinging arm and the frame? I can't find any among my carefully bagged and lab led collection of parts but there appears to be a small amount of side - to - side movement that wasn't there before it was stripped down.

It's at time like this when you realise you just can't take enough photos or make too many notes!

thanks

Bob
pedro

Re: Washers for swinging arm?

Post by pedro »

Certainly not a definitive answer, but when I recently stripped my 79 down for powder coating there was a washer there, and when I rebuilt it, it went back in and all is as it should be with no side to side movement.
Pedro
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Thanks Pedro, Looking at the club parts manual it does look as though there should be a single washer.

Time to hunt through the parts box!
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Pedro,

did you remove the powder coating from the ends of the swinging arm and / or frame when you reassembled it?
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The side play is adjustable. If there is too much side play a shim may be needed to take up the majority first.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bob,

Yes I did remove the powder coat, it will only wear off anyway, and you will be left with side play which was not there when you assembled it. That's my theory anyway.

Pedro
davidjlambert

Post by davidjlambert »

Bob

You won't need any washers.

Side play on my swinging arm was found by Alex of NLM when scrutineering at Cadwell last year.

I was sceptical that adjustment would take up the play which I would describe as excessive, I was sure I'd have to shim it but no, the adjustable arrangement worked fine.

That's why you can't find a washer, I bet there wasn't one!

Best of luck

Dave
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Well bu**er me, you're right! Tightened it up and the play has gone.

Thanks for your help guys.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

I know it’s an old thread (the search facility does work!) but if a shim is needed is there an actual part number or is it just a case of finding a suitable washer?
Thanks.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

My guess any washer the right size would do.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

With the rear wheel out for a new tyre I took the opportunity to look at the sideways play in my swinging arm. Using info from Paul’s video I was able to take up the play without much trouble. I removed the shocks and had to take off the offside engine cover (electric start) but then had enough access to do the job. No shim needed just a bit of tightening on the spindle.
Thanks to Paul Compton for another great video.
P&S

Post by P&S »

Definetely there is a washer.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

P&S wrote:Definetely there is a washer.
That's a parts drawing, not an assembly diagram.

A washer may be fitted where frame production tolerance resulted in too wide a gap to just take up the endfloat with the adjustment.
I've found frames with and without them, but mostly without.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
P&S

Post by P&S »

My two 3 1/2 both had that washer and I was the first to disassemble their swinging arms.
The washer fits very very tight and it is difficult to set it back.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi all,
The parts book isn't very clear, I think the washer would be best described as a hardened steel shim (15.06.16), typically the required thickness is less than a standard washer
with the correct i.d and o.d.
The shim is located between the outer left hand side frame and swinging arm. The id is sufficient that the larger part of the spindle passes through. This is important.
When I came across bikes with some end play it was usual that the shim was required, honestly I cannot remember whether shims were always present.
Probably it doesn't matter, because there can be wear in any case. What matters is if there is significant end float to to take up most of the end float with the correct shim as necessary.
I would avoid building up a shim or using very thin shims it shouldn't be necessary. Also I would avoid over-tightening the nut to pull in the frame plate, it is a lock-nut after all.
For the adjustment of the spindle and end play, it should be obvious that it should not be screwed all the way in, but left may be half to one turn out
so that the remaining clearance shimmed or otherwise can be taken out without pinching the swinging arm.

Mark