True early Sport??

The 3 1/2 forum
Block

True early Sport??

Post by Block »

Hello Morinistas!
Although I am a new subscriber to this forum, I have been interested in and riding Morinis since 1979, and presently have 4.
I would like opinions on a new for me 1974 3.5 Sport I just acquired.
This machine has a Valentini (or is it a Givi? not sure of that) fairing (this is the full rounded fairing with 4 design reliefs on each side) and is quite nice to excellent overall. It was sold to me as a genuine original Sport, Italian market (KMH speedometer) and at some time imported into Canada.
This bike was apparently listed on Ebay at one time a few years ago, although that is not how I got it and I never saw the listing. It has frame # A/1*04738. This would indeed indicate an early Sport frame number, and is about the lowest number A1 Sport frame I have seen in my research. Anyone have a lower number out there?
The numbers 04738, matching the frame number, are also stamped on the front of the motor just on top of the upper mounting boss. This is curious to me. Would this indicate an import into the UK at one time?
This motorcycle SEEMS all original with all the correct Sport equipment, Borrani rims, correct Grimeca brakes, fenders, forks and triple clamps, etc.
It has had a cosmetic restoration some time in the past, as the tank, fairing and side covers have all been nicely repainted, in the original red and black.
The one curious thing however, is that there is no S stamp on the right side lower case below the cylinder, as I assumed all Sports should have.
I know 1974 was a crazy year for Italian motorcycle manufacturers, Ducati certainly had unit to unit variations within model years, but could an early genuine 3.5 Sport leave the factory with no S mark?
Is the A/1 frame number prefix always a Sport model? Would the frame number have been stamped on the motor at the factory, or afterwards by?
Could this machine be a Valentini special by an Italian dealer some folks on the web mention?
Any opinions or even knowledge of this machine would be appreciated.
I will be happy to send photos to any one interested. Just PM me.
Regardless of the machines originality, it is quite excellent and a wonderful riding machine which I am very happy with!

Cheers,

Joe B.
hendre

RE: True early Sport??

Post by hendre »

Hi Joe,

Any chance of sending a link to a picture?

As far as originality goes:
* your frame number checks out as a '74 Sport (http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/framenumbers.html)
* I know for sure that in '74 Sports engines were stamped with an S. The Dutch importer in those days did not like the Strada engines so he imported a special batch of Strada bikes fitted with a Sports engine straight from the factory. They all have the S sign under the front cilinder (I should know as I own one)
* engine number ...... guess they put that in from the early '80-ies but not before in Europe mainland. Could be that overseas exports did require a number but that is something I leave to our fellow riders in the UK, US and Canada
* Valentini fairing probebly was first supplied in approx. 1977, so it must be a retrofit.

Could be wrong or incomplete in one of my repleys but please be free to corect me. Looking forward to a picture of the beast.

André (pretty jalous as I do not have a drum braked sport... :wink: )
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

The earliest Sport in the club's records is A1/5015 a 1974 bike.

Strada's started at 3000, I think the Sports started at 5000.

All of the UK bikes I have seen have had the engine number on the right hand upper rear engine mount.

I will be intersting to find out your bike's history, any clues with the paperwork that came with it ?
Block

I have posted photos

Post by Block »

I have posted photos of this motorcycle on the web. They can be seen here:

http://web.mac.com/blockpavick/BlockPav ... ycles.html

This Morini may indeed be a bitsa, but it is certainly well done. Could it have been a very early Sport with a Strada motor??
hendre

Post by hendre »

Hi,

had a close look at the photos and the dash and rear light are from a later date. Also the clipons seem to be a retrofit. But all in all a very beautifull bike worth keeping.

André
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Block

Regardless of authenticity, a lovely looking Morini. I run k&n's on my kanguro due to the peculiar design I used could not fit airbox, interested to know how yours runs.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Block

The variations

Post by Block »

Thanks for the reply Hendre. What do you feel is different about the rear light and the dash, as well as the clip ons as would be expected on a 1974 Sport? I know early Stradas came with the smaller tail lamp but I thought all Sports had the larger tail lamp. No?

Robin, it runs quite well, although I actually prefer the stock air boxes, but the bike came without. Anyone have stock air box and carb hoses for sale?

Also, can someone tell me positively, is the fairing a Valentini or Givi?

And about the frame number, has anyone seen or have an A/1 frame number this low?

Cheers,
Joe B.
Jem

Post by Jem »

My bike was sold as a Sport but doesn't have the 'S' stamp on the RH side of the crankcases but it does have 'S' on the camshaft, the Sport top yoke and the long, straight kick-start (though this is necessary with the Artesioni rear-sets); being a 1977 model it has the standard cast rear wheel. I regard it as a Sport.

Looking at your pictures, your bike has the champhered rocker covers of early models (1974 or earlier) and the earliest Sports used the same curly kick-start and forward footrests as the Strada but it does have the Sport top yoke and 5-bolt rear sprocket. I'd suggest it is a genuine Sport.
I cannot find any references of Morini V-twins being available outside Italy before 1974.
Block

Post by Block »

Thanks for the reply Jem. I am leaning towards thinking it is an original machine. At some point my curiosity will lead me to actually check the camshaft. Still curious to hear from anyone who has or has seen a lower A/1 frame number.

Happy New Year to all Morinistas,
Cheers,

Joe B.
dorsetsport

Original ?

Post by dorsetsport »

Hiya, just looked at your pics, my Sport is A/*05056 which is a genuine unmolested early sport ( i've had it for 20 years and spent 9 months researching and looking for the right bike back then !). I have the same dash (minus the sport badge), same rear light and clip ons that look the same as on yours (mine have Tomesseli stickers on), and as i have full history and bills for mine i know thats how it came so . . . my guess is that your sport is proper. Mine does have the S on the cases tho,

Good luck and happy Morini' ing
EVguru

Re: True early Sport??

Post by EVguru »

Resurrecting an old post, but I'm having a sort out in my workshop.

I have a December 74 registered UK Sport with the frame number 05128 and I knew I had an engine on the shelf that was in the very low 5000's.

I just found an engine with the S marking and the number 04430.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

As far as I knew the numers of all models began with 3000
but I guess I was wrong
Last edited by norbert on 21 May 2020 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Here's my early sport.
Charles from Antietam Classic Cycles did all the heavy lifting.
I took care of the odds and ends.
There is another member with an early sport that I believe is a couple digits earlier than mine.
Attachments
sport 2.JPG
sport 2.JPG (346.31 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
sport 1.jpeg
sport 1.jpeg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
4742.jpeg
4742.jpeg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

And done
Attachments
morini done.jpg
morini done.jpg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 8861 times
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mepstein,
Beautiful job, congratulations!

Paul,
I know of a sport 1974 imported into UK with frame number A/1 0453x,
believed to have been first registered in Italy March 1974,

Bonhams had A/1 04565 on sale a while back (in the USA)
Its entirely possible that engine 04430 is/was a sport, but which market ?
UK official imports engines were stamped near the frame number plate.
These were stamped by the factory, prior to export, were they not?
Mark