1977 3.5 Sport Restoration

The 3 1/2 forum
norbert

Re: 1977 3.5 Sport Restoration

Post by norbert »

By the way just to complete the brake piston story, so that we can turn back to the restoracion, bad news for the 19 mm faction:
At least at the moment, and already for years, there are no pistons for the 19mm Grimeca :( Recuperating a 19 pump, Jörg made me a new one. There you can see that new kind of seal (not realy but it´s visible that it´s not a ring)
k-DSCI0137.JPG
k-DSCI0137.JPG (27.94 KiB) Viewed 18502 times
fz2[1].gif
fz2[1].gif (9.31 KiB) Viewed 18502 times
norbert
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Update

After reading all the posts (thank you BTW) and also speaking to Stuart at NLM it was obvious that there never should have been three seals but rather just the normal two. A previous owner or mechanic had decided to put three seals on the piston, as they say in Ireland, to be sure to be sure!

So yesterday I took the piston and polished it carefully to a mirror finish. I also polished the cylinder to make sure there was no burr or other marks that could cut the delicate lip on the new seals. (sorry forgot to take any pictures). I then wet the seals with brake fluid and slipped them into position. The new seals have done the trick. I simply bled the brakes and immediately got a decent lever up. Only a good run will make a 100% sure but it looks promising at this stage. Now onto fixing the flat spot at 5000rpm.
My Other Italian V-Twin is an Italian V-Twin
norbert

Post by norbert »

Fine, so get on with that project :P
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

norbert wrote:Fine, so get on with that project :P
I have been. Currently rebuilding both Borranni rims, new stainless spokes, nipples and doing a silly amount of cleaning. Update soon.
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Just a small update on the rebuild of the wheels. In the end this was a complete strip and rebuild and included fitting new FAG bearings in both wheels. I cleaned the rims once dismantled and also the front hub and rear drum. The stainless steel spokes were ordered from HAGON by sending a sample of each of the four spoke types and nipples to them. I have to say that their service and knowledge as well as advice was superb and the product they produce is by far the best of quality. They were able to make me stainless spokes to the exact size of the old ones.

All the credit for these rims has to go to FatherB who carefully measured the rims before I dismantled them and who also rebuilt both the wheels to very exacting limits. This is something that was just beyond me and I am massively grateful to you Brian for all your knowledge, advice and hard work. The finished wheels look like new. Since I took these pictures I also had a new pair of Road Riders fitted and my local guy Glen even machined a mould to be able to pour his own lead spoke weights, thus avoiding having to stick on those horrible rim weights.

You can see just how bad the old spokes looked. It was only after a short very first run on the bike (since the rebuild) that I noticed loose spokes and decided to halt and testing/riding to have the wheels rebuilt.

EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Have you checked the caliper clearance yet?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Yes, all offsets were carefully measured. The wheels are actually now fitted and I hope to get back to setting up the carbs again now that the bike is running again.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Not offsets, clearance between the caliper and spokes.

Stainless can't be bent as tightly as traditional galvanised steel spokes and I've seen a couple of examples where that resulted in the spokes being too close to or touching the caliper, particularly on a twin disc setup.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Sorry Paul, misunderstood. Yes the spokes clear the caliper in much the same way as the old spokes did.
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

With the wheels fitted and the bike built back up I was at long last able to start and set the carbs and the running of the bike. Initially it was running like a dog but working through all the necessary stages of checking that the throttle cables were adjusted properly. Intake rubbers were well seated and tight, fuel was getting to the bowls properly and that the chokes were not sticking, eventually i was able to get the bike idling over quite well. I also checked the timing with a strobe and all looked to be in order. A quick run on my local lane showed up a bound front brake but with the bike having been unmoved since last autumn this was not a surprise. A few adjustments later and I was able to get a few miles of testing in. The power band felt smooth right through to 8000rpm. I did start to notice some clutch slip when applying a 'handfull' in 3rd gear so I suspect that my clutch may be in need of some attention as well. So far so good and the bike feels so light and nimble, it is a joy to throw about.

The SPORT badge needs to be fitted again I just realised.

Such a great looking bike the Morini, the proportions of the clocks and front end is just perfect.

So I was unable to use my colourtune to correctly set the mixture, somewhere along the way I have lost the HT lead from the box. Thankfully Gunson were very helpful and a replacement lead is now on the way. With this and the balanacers I hope to get the carbs close to perfect next week. I suspect however that the clutch is going to need a closer look. Any suggestions on what else to look at? I have a tiny amount of drag when the bike first starts (back wheel rotates slowly) but it stops after a few minutes. Clutch is adjusted correctly as far as i can tell. It does also feel quite short when pulling away.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Last edited by Daddy Dom on 02 Oct 2016 02:39, edited 1 time in total.
MRC 3082½
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Paz2112 wrote: So I was unable to use my colourtune to correctly set the mixture, somewhere along the way I have lost the HT lead from the box. Thankfully Gunson were very helpful and a replacement lead is now on the way. With this and the balanacers I hope to get the carbs close to perfect next week. I suspect however that the clutch is going to need a closer look. Any suggestions on what else to look at? I have a tiny amount of drag when the bike first starts (back wheel rotates slowly) but it stops after a few minutes. Clutch is adjusted correctly as far as i can tell. It does also feel quite short when pulling away.
Sounds like the clutch might need 'shimming'.
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

At the weekend I got the carbs really well balanced after re jetting the idle jet to 46 from 50. This made the bike a lot more powerful and as a result my clutch slip was made worse, so on Sunday I decided to strip and inspect the clutch. There was a build up of grime and it was also slightly greasy in nature. I removed the plates, cleaned them then on a flat surface and using 800 grade emery paper I rubbed back the steel plates to remove any surface imperfections and polish from their surface. I also cleaned out the outer basket and reassembled it all again. Hey presto, instead of the clutch biting in the last inch of the lever it was biting in the first inch of the lever and is also nice and progressive. Under maximum load in 2nd and 3rd gear it never slipped a bit. Result.

Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

This wonderfully well made rear-set arrived after some months. Thank you to Mauro Gini for making such a beautiful thing. I am looking forward to getting these fitted and hope to soon have some finish pictures of the final bike.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Lovely - just check the kickstart clearances!!!

It's coming together really well, and just in time for Spring...

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"