Metzeler ME22 fitting

The 3 1/2 forum
davel182

Metzeler ME22 fitting

Post by davel182 »

I have recently bought a Metzeler ME22 3.50-18 (from Oponeo) for my 350 Sport rear wheel. The sidewall marking has only one rotational direction arrow and the label by it says Front Wheel. Both Oponeo and Metzeler have confirmed the tyre is universal (can be fitted front or rear) but were vague about which way to fit it. I found a picture of an older Metzeler ME22 (different size) which had arrows pointing both ways (front/rear). Matching the tread pattern with mine, it would seem that I should fit the tyre to the rear with the arrow pointing the correct way (and if it fit the front fit it with the arrow pointing the wrong way). Can anyone confirm this? If so, it's incredibly misleading marking by Metzeler!

Dave
MickeyMoto

Re: Metzeler ME22 fitting

Post by MickeyMoto »

If Metzeler can't tell you I'd return it as not fit for purpose and buy a set of Avon Roadriders!

Mike.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I like ME22's but only on 250s, where they are (were?) the best tyres available in the correct, quite narrow, sizes.

The tread pattern has nothing to do with which way round the tyre is fitted. It's the carcase construction that can make the difference.

The front tyre gets the biggest linear load under braking, whilst the rear tyre gets the biggest loading under acceleration.

A bit odd about the markings. I'd keep asking the questions.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Perhaps I'm just not understanding Metzeler's response - here it is:

"I can confirm that the Metzeler ME22 size you have mentioned is a universal tyre, and would recommend to fit on
the direction of rotation in the rear fitment, as there is an arrow to guide you on fitment respectively, when
you fit to the wheel make sure it is facing the correct direction of rotation, please note the arrow will show
only on one side of the tyre wall."

I guess this would indicate what I had already deduced i.e. arrow facing the correct way on the rear (and as that's where I'm fitting it, I don't really care about the front). I still think it's misleading.

Dave
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Tyres do get marked differently for different intended markets, or OEM applications, so perhaps your tyre only has a single direction arrow for that reason.

I found the following comment on an MOT testing site;
A Metzeler 100/80-17 52s ME22 tyre is suitable for fitment to the rear wheel of an Aprilla AF50 Motorcycle provided it is fitted in the reverse to the direction of rotation indicated on the tyre wall
A check with your preferred MOT tester might be wise, so that they're happy with which way round it gets fitted. A Morini is neither heavy enough, or powerful enough, for it to be a safety issue, but you don't want to be told to go and swap it round, or that it's not suitable.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Yes, I'd already seen that, but thanks for the post. That seems to indicate the opposite! The Dunlop K82 which I'm replacing has an arrow on each side (facing opposite ways) clearly labelled Front and Rear; I can't understand why Metzeler couldn't do something similar. I'll see what the MOT man says.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

davel182 wrote:Yes, I'd already seen that, but thanks for the post. That seems to indicate the opposite! The Dunlop K82 which I'm replacing has an arrow on each side (facing opposite ways) clearly labelled Front and Rear; I can't understand why Metzeler couldn't do something similar. I'll see what the MOT man says.
Depends on the MoT man. Mine got sniffy because the road legal knobbly on the front of my KTM250EXC had been swapped around by the previous owner to get more life out of the knobbles. He failed it because the tiny direction marks (which I hadn't even realised it had) were facing the wrong way. Luckily my friendly local tyre fitter was able to flip it round for me the same day. I'm glad I left it to him because it also had a mousse not a tube.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Just had a look at the ME22's fitted to mine both front and rear are marked Front/Rear with arrows going in opposite directions.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Just to finish this off, I took it for an MOT today with the tyre mounted on the rear with the arrow pointing in the direction of rotation. I had with me the email from Metzeler (just in case) but it passed anyway without comment. I'm not sure how significant that is given the tester thought it was a 2-stroke (after the test)!

Dave
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Today, a year later, the very same tester (at the same testing station) failed the bike for having a front tyre fitted on the rear! That's consistency for you. Of course I didn't have the email with me this time. I eventually managed to convince them it was a universal fit (after a phone call to their "tyre man"), so I got the MOT.