Steering damper.

The 3 1/2 forum
penman

Steering damper.

Post by penman »

When I had my 1985 K2 MOTd, he gave me an advisory on notchy steering. Since then I have stripped the steering head and cleaned and re-greased the bearings, which were in as new condition. The notchy feel was due to the steering damper which was sticking around its mid point. At the moment, I've removed the damper and I think the steering and handling is brilliant, this bike loves twisty roads! So the first question is, do you need the damper at all?

Next question, can you take it apart to clean and lube it? And if not, are there any recommendations on replacements? There are no end of them on ebay at any price from £15 to £200+ but I think all of those would need modifying or at least a new bracket making (probably no big deal). Any views?
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
EVguru

Re: Steering damper.

Post by EVguru »

I think Morini fitted the steering damper purely for marketing reasons. I've never run a damper and most bikes you'll see at the trackday won't have one.

NLM had one on their race bike, but that would pull something like 130mph and get airborne cresting the mountain at Cadwell.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
penman

Post by penman »

Thanks Paul, that's what I was hoping someone would say. The steering and stability is extremely pleasant as it is - and by the way, I don't intend to get airborne!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My Sport has a steering damper, and my Strada doesn't. If anything, the Strada is slightly more stable than the Sport (slightly smaller diameter rear tyre?) As EVGuru said, the steering damper seems to be for marketing/cosmetic purposes. If you do want a replacement, NLM sell them, not original but they look the part, and they are a straight fit on the bracket/bottom yoke. Around £30 if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

MarkB wrote:My Sport has a steering damper, and my Strada doesn't. If anything, the Strada is slightly more stable than the Sport (slightly smaller diameter rear tyre?) As EVGuru said, the steering damper seems to be for marketing/cosmetic purposes. If you do want a replacement, NLM sell them, not original but they look the part, and they are a straight fit on the bracket/bottom yoke. Around £30 if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Mark.
My Strada a 75 mod as one a friction one with the adjuster through the head stock not that it needs it or it ever gets used.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

What actual size is the damper needed? I like the look of it on a race bike but don't need to spend too much.
My Other Italian V-Twin is an Italian V-Twin
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I thnik steering dampers are a bodge.I've taken them off any bike they were fitted to.Well i have not owned a sidecar......
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

3potjohn wrote:I thnik steering dampers are a bodge.I've taken them off any bike they were fitted to.Well i have not owned a sidecar......
Don't quite agree with any bike, I have one on a modified RSV-R and on track days I am glad of it. Have to agree that on the Morini it is unnecessary but I like the look and just wanted to know what dimensions it is so that I can fit something better looking than the stock item from NLM. Any suggestions?
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Sorry to do this but BUMP.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the damper needed on the 350 sport. I want to put one on my bike but am not sure what options I have to choose from. Pictures would also be appreciated from anyone that has already done this.

Thanks in advance.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I'll have a look in the shed as I *think* I might have an OEM one lurking in there somewhere. If I remember correctly, you will also need a mounting bracket for the frame end.

I had a Kawasaki style adjustable one on the 2C for a while but it isn't needed on the road. Helpful on the hill climbers though for the very bumpy finish at Hartland Quay.

A similar Kwak one (NH 80-0) in need of a new silentbloc bush for the yoke end is lying on the desk in front of me. That is about 23cms from bush centre to mounting bolt to the bracket. However, on a standard Morini bracket, but fitted to a 2C (which never had one), that's not quite right so you have to use the first lightening hole rather than the proper hole IYSWIM. That puts the bracket under some stress and mine cracked. I strengthened it by welding in a thick steel plate at the frame mounting bolt end.
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

72degrees wrote:I'll have a look in the shed as I *think* I might have an OEM one lurking in there somewhere. If I remember correctly, you will also need a mounting bracket for the frame end.

I had a Kawasaki style adjustable one on the 2C for a while but it isn't needed on the road. Helpful on the hill climbers though for the very bumpy finish at Hartland Quay.

A similar Kwak one (NH 80-0) in need of a new silentbloc bush for the yoke end is lying on the desk in front of me. That is about 23cms from bush centre to mounting bolt to the bracket. However, on a standard Morini bracket, but fitted to a 2C (which never had one), that's not quite right so you have to use the first lightening hole rather than the proper hole IYSWIM. That puts the bracket under some stress and mine cracked. I strengthened it by welding in a thick steel plate at the frame mounting bolt end.
I have the frame bracket and the mounting bolt on the bottom yolk. I just never got any damper with the bike and so am not sure as to the dimensions.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Here's my Sport in a state of shameful undress. The damper cylinder is 25mm diameter and 150mm long (the actual tubular bit). With the damper rod fully extended it's 280mm between the centre of the bushes, and with the rod retracted it's 180mm.

Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Mark, thank you for posting that picture and the specifications. Can I ask, with the steering locked fully left is the piston fully extended or what percentage do you think it is extended. Conversely when fully right, is it fully retracted or again what percentage. I am trying the find the tolerances to allow me to choose an alternative on the interweb.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

With the steering centred, there's 55mm of rod sticking out from the damper unit; on full left lock there's 75mm, and 30mm on full right lock. (Not including the bush at the front).
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Perfect info thanks.