k1/2 models

The 3 1/2 forum
buell1203

k1/2 models

Post by buell1203 »

Has anyone lived with a k1 or 2 model?
I do not like them much. But have an opportunity to acquire one at reasonable money.
Are they worth bothering with?
Thanks
corsaro chris

Re: k1/2 models

Post by corsaro chris »

Probably one of the most underrated Morini out there, especially as they have just about everything sorted after ten years + of production. It's just the looks that can be off-putting, but you don't see that when you're riding...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

corsaro chris wrote:Probably one of the most underrated Morini out there, especially as they have just about everything sorted after ten years + of production. It's just the looks that can be off-putting, but you don't see that when you're riding...

CC
I had a 1987 K2 Classic for a while. It made a very competent touring bike. I had Givi panniers on mine. The electric start sort of worked.
Couldn't say I liked the power delivery much. Not the torque of my 75 Strada or the top end of my 79 Sport. It would go OK if revved but I was always waiting for it to "come on the cam" (M?) - but it didn't. Then I'm spoiled by a 375 with L5 ;)

Did you get my email reply about the Classic TT next year?
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

I've had a 350K Sport for thirteen years* or so. It's great; what's the problem?

Other than the looks of the later ones, but if you're buying a bike purely on looks, the Ducati showroom is over there ->

*Extensively rambled about on the RealClassic website, follow the link in my sig, below.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Yes itis the look of the bike.Nothing looks right to me.

Also the 16" wheel...but that is less of an issue.

Thanjs for the replies. I appreciate the wisdom out there.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

buell1203 wrote:Also the 16" wheel...but that is less of an issue.
I think you might be confused with the K4!*

*the K4 is the Dart.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

K, tailpiece a bit like a Kawasaki Z1(if you squint)
K1, tailpiece like Freddie Spencer's CB900F
K2, Quite a change, headlamp fairing but sometimes a half fairing, different narrow tailpiece again different tank and sidepanels and big cast alloy footrest hangers, usually a bellypan
Not a 16" wheel in sight, that came on the K4/K5 Dart

David
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

My '85 K2 came to me in rather rough condition, already missing the quarter fairing and belly pan and with a round headlight in place of the rectangular original. I think it looks very nice, other riders and the general public seem to agree. The electric start works every time, overall it's been totally reliable for the last 5000 miles. VHB25 carbs vs. PHBH28s means better low and mid-range power than the '86 I bought new, but top-speed is down a bit. No biggie. I've done a bunch of 350 mile days and even the stock board hard seat isn't too bad. Averaging 70 mpg. Makes a great light-weight sport-touring bike.

72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

That's pretty much how my official Harglo K2 classic looked. I found a photo of it on a Le Shuttle in 1995. Not totally reliable as a transducer failed on that trip. Luckily I had taken the pickup and a transducer from the 2C/375 as spares. I discovered in the car park of a Mr Bed hotel which combination of old and new ignition components would give a spark on both cylinders. Though not timed correctly it got us home again from Reims.
Attachments
K2_Shuttle.jpg.jpg
K2_Shuttle.jpg.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 14428 times
norbert

Post by norbert »

I think the K2 motor is one of the best 350 ones, Nikasil cilinder, M-cam, the new crankshaft a reliable electric starter and Kokussan ignicion (if you like that).
The K stays with a drum rearbreak, meanwhile K1-K5 have discs. The only ones with 16" wheels are the Darts K4 (350) and K5 (400).

In case taht I´m right, where the hell ist the K3 :roll: :roll: :roll:
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

norbert wrote:I think the K2 motor is one of the best 350 ones, Nikasil cilinder, M-cam, the new crankshaft a reliable electric starter and Kokussan ignicion (if you like that).
The K stays with a drum rearbreak, meanwhile K1-K5 have discs. The only ones with 16" wheels are the Darts K4 (350) and K5 (400).

In case taht I´m right, where the hell ist the K3 :roll: :roll: :roll:
No Kokusan ignition, still the Ducati Electronica.
norbert

Post by norbert »

That¡s true, I was wrong :oops: The K2 still has the Ducati ignicion and the old electric starter.
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

Apologies..internet and false info.I looked up the k2 and the site gave incorrect wheel sizes.

i thought the pics of the bike looked normal in the wheel dept!

It seems from your replies that it is a good biks. I cannot help my feelings towards its style but each to their own.

Nodecision made on purchase yet. It is a toss up between the k2 and a gs650 funduro with full luggage. At 6'2" the latter makes a lot of sense!
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I did read somewhere that the '80s models were supposedly "hit with the ugly stick" but honestly, if you can find anything ugly in this bike I'd be surprised. Anyone who regularly comments how gorgeous it is couldn't give a stuff if it's a "rare" '70s drum sport. As it goes, I guess these are rarer especially with the original bodywork.

The motor is highly evolved, the price is right, do you want yours to look like everyone else's? You do the maths :D
DD
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (125.91 KiB) Viewed 14315 times
MRC 3082½
Ming

Post by Ming »

buell1203 wrote:...No decision made on purchase yet. It is a toss up between the k2 and a gs650 funduro with full luggage. At 6'2" the latter makes a lot of sense!
Well, I've had an F650 Funduro and now have a Dakar, both comfortable though I preferred the Funduro. I couldn't compare either with a Morini, though, different beasts entirely. If you like fettling bikes, the price and condition are right, go for the Morini - but it's your choice. (or you could buy my Dakar!)