Clocks

The 3 1/2 forum
Mark

Clocks

Post by Mark »

Hi all.
Leaving aside the electronic rev counters and red line variations which are model specific, are all the other counters and speedos interchangeable, i.e, between the 2 roadsters, the Kangaro, New York and Excalibur, or is the drive/gearing different somehow?
I just ask because they all seem to look largely if not totally the same when they come up for sale but are often specified by the seller as for a specific model.

Cheers.
MickeyMoto

Re: Clocks

Post by MickeyMoto »

Good question. The speedos I have seen have a revs to distance ratio. The wheel size makes a difference, but is the speedo drive 'geared'?
mgelder

Re: Clocks

Post by mgelder »

The Morini speedo drive (on mine, anyway) is a simple 2:1 ratio, so I assume any handling of different wheel sizes is done in the speedo 'head' rather than at the wheel drive.

This is certainly the case for airhead BMWs, which have a gearbox driven speedo. There is a bewildering number of different ratio speedo heads to cater for different rear wheel drive ratios.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini