Cam opinions?

The 3 1/2 forum
Bison

Cam opinions?

Post by Bison »

Hello folks,
I've acquired another Morini, an early 1979 Sport, very first of the electric start model, obviously, one wasn't enough! (heard this story before?).
So, the 1978 Sport I have now is 402cc, L5 cam (I was told), power dynamo ignition, and just brilliant!. The '79 is in dire need of a rebuild, and as I've never ridden a Stock condition sport, I would like to know if there are any opinions as to whether I should keep the stock sport cam or have it reprofiled.
My brief is, due to my advancing years, I'll keep the electric start, capacity, etc, in other words pretty original spec, I want a bike that's as user friendly as possible for a Morini but still has the fantastic character. My '78 is pretty full on, especially to kick start, but the engine is great, torquey and good mid range, but as the ignition has no retard at kick over can be a bit daunting.
Thanks in advance,
Alan.
smotorboy

Re: Cam opinions?

Post by smotorboy »

Sachse ignition system would give you Top Dead Center spark timing for starting, 7 different curves , and rev limiter....All in all a nice system...

I have one on my Supercharge 350 and it starts up like a charm with no kickback...

Robert in California
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I've had 350s with Strada, Sport, 2+2, L5, M (K2) and L? cam.

See the long running thread about the L5 cam here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1935

I suppose it depends what kind of performance characteristics you are looking for. I quite like the 'coming on the cam' feel that a Sport has but my 375(366) with L5 has the characteristics you describe. The 'project' 350 with the cam Smotorboy decided had too much overlap for his supercharged bike seems to be going pretty well and certainly has more pep than a Strada, but the PHBH28 carbs add another variable. I must get round to checking exactly what the cam timing is, but seat of the pants testing suggests it will be fairly good for speed hill climbs. Perhaps I should have got NLM to do the machining to allow cam swaps without splitting the crankcases while they were doping the main bearing conversion, but I've not heard much feedback on how reliable the location system is.

Consider going for an uprated ignition system on the 79 Sport. I run the NLM module/conventional coils with an OEM second generation red pickup on the 375 and it certainly starts and goes well. I'm convinced the revs pickup better (I've had the project engine on the road in the bike with that system and now back with the original system). The Sachse ignition system looks the business and the built in rev limiter is an attraction for the project, as I could even more safely discard the tacho. That would mean using a battery though, and I like the minimalist approach to wiring that junking that and the reg/rec gives. Though these days a very small Lithium-ion battery would work 'total loss' and probably only need recharging between events.

Others will now doubt have their 'favourite' cam for road use. Ollie at NLM told me his was the 'L' from the late Camel? As Evguru says in the thread I linked to : "The 'L' vs 'L5-I' vs 'L5-II' debate has yet to be settled."
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

72 degrees is so right about it depends on what you need for your application.....

Camshafts are the "Gatekeepers" of fuel/air processing in an engine,,,so where do you want torque in the rpm range in the Big Question to ask....

The dominant parameters are "Valve-overlap" and when the Intake valve CLOSES..... Power at higher rpm means more overlap and later Intake valve closing is needed...Reverse these two and you'll have more Mid-range Grunt and less up at high revs....

I spend a lot of time and $$ last winter studying the Morini valve system....Here are a few things I learned:

1- cams vary quite a bit as cam grinders often just don't have that much precision lobe-to lobe and cam to cam..
### Check you cam events (every lobe) with the cam in the motor and timed and adjusted to specs###

2- Advance or retard the cam to equalize as much event timing difference as possible between the cylinders...

3- Retarding the overall cam timing will raise the power in the rpm range a bit (don't go crazy as 2 or 3 degrees is about the most you should do)

4- Overhead oiling of the valve gear is a very good thing as the rockers and springs are quieter and much cooler running....I have had zero valve train issues since I started oiling the over head gear....

Robert in California
Bison

Post by Bison »

Gents,
Thanks for the info, I have a plan!.
I'm going to build the motor in stock trim, including the sport cam, and see how I like it. My 402 is very different in quite a few ways, and the thing I like least about it is the fact that the Powerdynamo ignition has A, no retard for kickstarting, and B, a much lighter flywheel which makes it easy to stall unless you really keep the revs up and slip the clutch, there's no problem at all about the actual ignition side of things. I have a standard ignition system ready to be fitted to it, but will do the '79 first. And I may look into the NLM modified pickup.
So, many thanks to you all for the very helpful replies.
Alan.