Fuel tap off

The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Fuel tap off

Post by Lewes96 »

Came back to a garage floor covered in petrol having left the manual fuel tap on the back position for a week.
I have forgotten which is which position (it has been off the road a long time). So is forward off,
down on, and back reserve?
penman

Re: Fuel tap off

Post by penman »

Mine has a solenoid "main" fuel valve on the right with a manual reserve on the left. OFF is with the lever horizontal and ON is with it pointing straight down. I've just checked and both forwards and backwards are OFF. Hope that helps!

Joe
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Hi, manual is on the right and it has three positions: right/horizontal, left/horizontal, and down. So one of the horizontals is off and one is reserve.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I ditched the solenoid taps a long time ago, not enough fuel flow when screwing the engine up and the engine suffering fuel starvation. The taps are actually marked, off - on - reserve. The reserve designated tap, if you have one as such, does not have a tube inside the nylon gause filter. With the tap in reserve position there is just a hole into the tap so giving you a bit of extra fuel. My main tap is front left and reserve is back right which is slightly lower.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Mine has a manual tap front left and rear right, neither has a reserve (IIRC), so the rear right is purely for reserve. I know this as at first I hadn't realised and ran with both on until I stopped out in the Yorkshire Dales. :oops:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Worse places to stop.....
norbert

Post by norbert »

If you have a reserve tap you can decide yourself how much fuel you want to have left, putting a longer or shorter tube inside the filter. After some bad experiences I opted for more than 30 km (going about 5000 rev. to find a station) :roll: It´s not that funny if you have to take of the 15 kg Harro from the tank, to tip the whole bike extremely to the right to get the last fuel for about one or two km because you have to take the car-train in the south of france with no time left. And even worse if after that, you get stuck 500m from the train station with that belowed burning sun at 13h in Narbonne :lol:
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

If they're the same "sugar cube" shaped petcocks as used on older Guzzis, they're usually marked on the sides as to the function. "C" for closed and "R" for reserve.

I put petcocks from a Guzzi V65 on my K2 (inexpensive and work very well) and they're clearly marked for on/off/reserve.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Lewes96 wrote:Came back to a garage floor covered in petrol having left the manual fuel tap on the back position for a week.
I have forgotten which is which position (it has been off the road a long time). So is forward off,
down on, and back reserve?

Original fuel tap?

Replacement fuel tap?

What's the orientation of the tap?

A simple experiment would have identified the various positions.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
tobydmv

Post by tobydmv »

Well, like Paul said if you disconnect the fuel line you will find out how to turn off the tap in a hurry. For me, the off position is when the lever points to the front of the bike. Although i'm using the stock Paoli tap and one from a Guzzi that has the fuel fitting exit from the bottom of the cube. Which makes the fuel hose routing a PITA. Does anyone have a picture of a proper fuel line setup?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Here's the manual tap in the off position. The electotap is visible on the far side of the petrol tank. The electrotap comes on with a clunk when you turn the ignition on, and when the bike starts to splutter and pop as the petrol level gets low in the fuel tank, you turn the manual tap lever down to get onto reserve. Both taps have the outlet horizontal and pointing inwards, so it's a straightforward route to the carburettors.

"I'll have a V please, Bob."
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

tobydmv wrote:Well, like Paul said if you disconnect the fuel line you will find out how to turn off the tap in a hurry. For me, the off position is when the lever points to the front of the bike. Although i'm using the stock Paoli tap and one from a Guzzi that has the fuel fitting exit from the bottom of the cube. Which makes the fuel hose routing a PITA. Does anyone have a picture of a proper fuel line setup?
The taps/petcocks from a V35/V50/V65 Guzzi have the outlet coming out the side, same as the original Morini tap.

http://www.mgcycle.com/images/atrex/65105400.jpg
tobydmv

Post by tobydmv »

I bought some used original taps off ebay, they were listed from a 1976 Guzzi 850 T3. The fuel outlet exits straight down. I rebuilt them with a new rubber gasket from Harpers. It works well but the hose routing isnt perfect. I imagine the Tonti frame might block the fuel outlet if it went horizontal...?