Before I take the Plunge

The 3 1/2 forum
Papa Lazarou

Before I take the Plunge

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Just a few questions before I start seriously looking to buy.

Unleaded or leaded petrol?

What is the spares availability like?

Where do you buy your cambelts?
George 350

Re: Before I take the Plunge

Post by George 350 »

Hi Papa,
In answer to your questions;

Unleaded or leaded petrol?
I've run mine on normal unleaded for ages, but since the ethanol issues, I've been choosing the high octane stuff that doesn't say EN228 on the pump, Not a brand snob, but the local garage is a Shell one. (allegedly ethanol free for most of the country)

What is the spares availability like?
North Leicester Motorcycles have a very good supply of almost everything you will need.
parts prices reflect their low volume production levels, ie. they can seem expensive when compared to popular British classics or Japanese ones come to that, but equally they are relatively cheap if you look at the price of some modern bike stuff.
The very good news is that unless you are unlucky, you won't need too many of them!
There are several bikes in the club with 100,000 miles or more on them - my Sport is a junior at just 98,000 miles from new.

Where do you buy your cambelts?
Many people will use NLM as an easy peace of mind choice, but the belt is a standard 'industrial' belt and they are available from many places.
The original factory ones were (are?) made by Pirelli, and were graded to reflect tolerance build up in the pinion/centre distances but as long as you use a reputable/known make you should be OK. Worst thing about buying 'off the shelf' belts is that they can have a wide tolerance, so it may take 2 or 3 belts to find one that is the proper fit.
I run Conti belts, purchased through RS components and have been 'lucky' in that they have all been good as fitted.
Belt changes should be done at intervals of 12000 miles or 2 years.

Hope that this helps,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

it does, thanks.
danomar

Post by danomar »

Papa Lazarou wrote:What is the spares availability like?
To put it in perspective, I am looking to get a Moto Guzzi V65 Lario. Many parts for the Lario are more difficult to find than for the Morini. I think the difference is that there is a closer Moto Morini community than many other marques and also because Morinis are very reliable once set up properly.

HTH
Vrrooom!
huub

Post by huub »

To put it in perspective, I am looking to get a Moto Guzzi V65 Lario. Many parts for the Lario are more difficult to find than for the Morini.
you're a brave guy, i have been running a lario as daily transport for a couple of years, but wouldn't recommend them.
most of the rumours about dropping valves and chocolate camshafts are actually true...
having said that, they are fun as long as they run. :D
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Always get the big block Guzzis.