NLM Exhaust nut tool quality???

The 3 1/2 forum
corsaro chris

Re: NLM Exhaust nut tool quality???

Post by corsaro chris »

My MZ C spanner still sits in the Strada tool tray, and was last used a couple of months or so ago to loosen the exhaust pipe to enable me to move the silencer to help get the rear wheel spindle out (tyre changing). Having done all that, I thought a bit more about it and just compressed the springs. As Micky Moto said during our Treffen run back in the summer when he was doing similar with his T****p, they should have a tool for that...

The only time an exhaust nut came loose with me was on a run to Wells on the Dart back in the 90's - I didn't have the Strada then and the spanner sat in its' tool tray along with a spare cam belt (B size), extractor and spanners to work the extractor - plus the joke 'tool kit' supplied with the bike.

Back to polishing the shiny bits now, and looking forward to the next ride out over Christmas (always used to be to The Shoe on the A420 between Bristol and Chippenham on Boxing Day)...

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
tobydmv

Post by tobydmv »

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Ducati-V-TWIN-be ... Sw-kdXyxA-

There's an alternative source above and they are affordable. I bought 3 "keys" from this dude and he shipped them from Italy to North Carolina in no time at all. He also makes Ducati 250/750 wrenches. Neither the intake or exhaust tools have bent so far and i've been using them a lot. I would recommend removing the exhaust collar and tapping the wrench flats back into shape with a small hammer if yours are rounded from years of screw driver adjustments. I'd like to also make a flywheel and clutch basket tool this year to have a good set of Morini tools.
Db7gtgrigio

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

Well I received a response from Stuart at NLM in which he said he was sorry that I was disappointed with he quality but they have sold lots to satisfied customers and I must be built like a gorilla and had a very hearty breakfast to have bent it!!!!

This thread indicated a few people who share my view that the NLM tool is totally inadequate. I am 5'8" 70kg which I would not describe as gorilla like at all, and the tool bent without much force at all.

However, I am not going to make a fuss over 11 quid and will put it down to experience.

But my strong advice to anyone contemplating the NLM exhaust nut spanner is DON'T

Mauro's tool is very nice but the postage from Italy to Australia is 30 euros (more than the tool!!!!!) so I may well try the Allen key route.....
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Agree NLM tool OK up to a point but no good for final tightening.

I bent a 350 one completely out of shape and had to bin it.

The 500 one needs a good hold, difficult on a worn nut, to stop it bending. Unusually have to hammer the end down into the but after a few turns...

Needs to be thicker / different metal.
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.