Freeing a cylinder head stuck to the barrel

The 3 1/2 forum
John90

Freeing a cylinder head stuck to the barrel

Post by John90 »

I just bought a K Strada, in blue (so 1980 to 1983 I assume). Nice bike but needs some TLC. Carbs and ignition coils missing. I have removed the head nuts and tappet assembly. The front piston is stuck (seized) in its bore. Also both heads are stuck to both barrels. It looks like gasket seal was used on the head gaskets.

Any ideas how to get the heads free off the barrels?

I have removed the front spark plug and left the piston crown soaking in WD40 for now.
SoloFrenos

Re: Freeing a cylinder head stuck to the barrel

Post by SoloFrenos »

Hi, I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs,but have you removed the allen head bolt in the push rod tunnel?

Tony
Ming

Post by Ming »

Try using a proper release oil rather than WD40, which is actually a Water Displacer.
Alternatively try diesel or a mixture of ATF and acetone.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

SoloFrenos wrote:Hi, I apologise if I'm teaching you to suck eggs,but have you removed the allen head bolt in the push rod tunnel?

Tony
My thoughts as well! It is easily overlooked and plenty of people make that mistake.

I'd second the comment about diesel or proper releasing/penetrating fluid too. Along with a little gentle persuasion with a wooden drift-Hammer handle etc.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
John90

Post by John90 »

Thanks for the tips. The head problem was the allen head bolt in the pushrod tunnel!

I will try some diesel in there next. The bore looks quite good, and the piston is seized at the bottom end.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

If need be you can unscrew the barrel studs so that you can split the cases with the piston still in the barrel. Much easier to free the piston with the barrel on the bench.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
John90

Post by John90 »

Thanks for the tips. The cylinder has now been left filled with diesel. I have ordered a flywheel puller in case I need to remove the studs and split the cases. The exhaust down pipes have been sawn off about 3" from each cylinder by a previous owner, presumably the castled retainers are seized in the head too (they have drift marks on them). I now plan to stand the heads at an angle and try filling the exhaust ports with diesel too, and then just leave the bike on one side for a while.
John90

Post by John90 »

Thanks for the tips. The cylinder has now been left filled with diesel. I have ordered a flywheel puller in case I need to remove the studs and split the cases. The exhaust down pipes have been sawn off about 3" from each cylinder by a previous owner, presumably the castled retainers are seized in the head too (they have drift marks on them). I now plan to stand the heads at an angle and try filling the exhaust ports with diesel too, and then just put the bike to one side for a while.