Best source for crimps, strippers & wiring bits & bobs

The 3 1/2 forum
Gary D

Best source for crimps, strippers & wiring bits & bobs

Post by Gary D »

Hi

Does anyone have some good advice on rewiring my 500? Is it best to crimp and solder, or is crimping alone adequate? I also need to get some crimpers, terminals & wiring. Anyone able to help with good sources for these please?

Many thanks

Gary
PS Please note that I'm also posting this on the 3-1/2 section, in order to reach all parties that maybe able to assist.
lambs

Re: Best source for crimps, strippers & wiring bits & bobs

Post by lambs »

If you're using the correct tools, crimping alone is sufficient.

I've recently done a major repair job on a LeMans wiring loom, which was in very poor state. I found that RS Components stock an excellent range of terminals, covers and tools (although some of the tools aren't cheap, to say the least). FASTIN-FASTON tab terminals are the type to look for. Of course Ebay (China....) is another source, but you get what you pay for in terms of quality.
1974 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1972 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
1975 Moto Guzzi 850-T3
1976 Moto Guzzi 750-S3 (owned since new)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans Series 2
1983 BMW K100
1983 BMW K100RS

1974 260Z
1989 R32 GTR
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Vehicle wiring products in Ilkeston are a good source for all electrical stuff.
morinipablo

Post by morinipablo »

my mate is an auto electrician and wires bikes and trikes in his spare time
he rewired my 350 and apart from a memorable ocasion at cadwell (which wasn't his fault) the electrics have been totally reliable
his advice is DO NOT SOLDER
the wire can get brittle and fail
use the best quality crimps and crimping tool youcan. it may seem expensive but its money well spent
if he ever answers his phone i'll let you know what he uses
hope this helps
1979 strada
gsxr 1127 harris magnum
tl 1000s
1982 strada
greenwheels
and a transit for when it all goes wrong
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Many thanks for your comprehensive assistance all! I'll get busy with your thoughts in mind.

Cheers

Gary
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

Vehicle wiring products is where to go, great selection and decent prices. Do what I did and replace everything with Jap waterproof bullets. Bring new earths to the front end and simplify what is there.

Good luck.
My Other Italian V-Twin is an Italian V-Twin
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

Another vote for Vehicle Wiring Products from me. They do decent crimping tools too, which makes a big difference.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
unreal

Post by unreal »

Also http://kojaycat.co.uk they do the Molex connectors.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Once again folks..thanks so much for your efforts on this. I'm very much the wiser & will put your advice to good use.

Best regards

Gary
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Gary, I have the crimpers and strippers (oooer!) you need. Also the Japanese type connecters too. let me know if I can help.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi Steve. You've been a great support throughout my first Morini restoration & my thanks (yet again) for another kind offer of assistance.

I hope to exit this restoration a wiser guy & always tend to learn more through thinking things through until: a/having a breakthrough, or b/having a breakdown! I probably overdo this approach though! If I can get some of your advice in refining the wiring, arrange a good time to borrow the strippers & buy some hardware from you, then that'd be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I managed to get the crank pulley washer required today & just need a moment to put it to good use at the weekend. Fingers crossed I'm about to get to the fulcrum of the engine work & will soon turn my hand to the chassis parts, electrics & refinishing. I gave myself 3 years to get her on the road & I'm 6 months in. Mind you, I'm currently trying to get a second business on the go that wasn't really in the schedule..

Cheers again for your help Steve & for the great support from so many in the club. What a great crowd!

Cheers

Gary
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

VWP very good-I use Japanese connectors where needed with waterproof sleeves.You can put a bit of grease or silcone in the ends of the sleeves if you wish. The thin wall wire in various colours is good and the proper crimp tool is great.You have to just be a bit careful fitting the connector into the crimp tool but otherwish its easy.I also used their indicators to replace my old ones.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

The Jap connectors certainly seem to be the way to go John. Many thanks for your assistance.