Reviving a Sport after 15 years in a shed.

The 3 1/2 forum
Quello Serio

Reviving a Sport after 15 years in a shed.

Post by Quello Serio »

Hello.

I bought a sport about 15 years ago, but circumstances didn't allow me to do anything with it. Its a late model, not very pretty. Red frame, black exhausts, gold wheels. mismatched mudguards. Indicators that look like they belong on a truck. It was stored in a dry shed, but you can't hide 15 years of neglect.

I want to clean it up and get it running now.

One thing I'd like to know is - does the timing belt age? The previous owner replaced it shortly before I bought it, and its done hardly any mileage since. Is it a big risk to leave it in place after lying up for so long?

Another thing is the brakes. Its got a single disk. The brakes were ridiculously bad on the few occasions I rode it. Could my expectations just be too high? (by other bike at the time was a Honda CBR600F).

Thanks!
Archie Adv

Re: Reviving a Sport after 15 years in a shed.

Post by Archie Adv »

Hi Quello Serio,

I finished a similar project in November and there will be lots of advice from the other Morini owners on here.
In reply to your questions:
1. It would be better to change the timing belt as they do dry out.
2. Like you I did't think much of the brakes either coming from a more modern bike. it would be wise to overhaul both the calliper and master cylinder.

You may find the wheel bearings are not as smooth as they should be and will require changing. Similarly the steering stem bearings may have frozen in situ and the grease will be hard.

HTH, good luck and happy spanner-ing.
Archie
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes, I'd definitely change the cambelt, and I wouldn't want to ride on 15-year old tyres either! The single disc is often described as wooden, and a popular modification is to use the smaller master cylinder from a 250. Let us know how you get on!
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

If you need to you can remove wheel bearings using expanding rawlbolts to grip the inner then a bit of hot water or hot air and drift gently out. But definately change the belt and check the tank inside as best you can for debris/corrosion. I'd clean the clutch out as well.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Mileage and calendar life of the cambelt are in the 'Blue Book' manual and in owners handbook.

Most questions have been answered many times, so try the search function.

I've covered many jobs in my Youtube videos.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Paz2112

Post by Paz2112 »

EVguru wrote:Mileage and calendar life of the cambelt are in the 'Blue Book' manual and in owners handbook.

Most questions have been answered many times, so try the search function.

I've covered many jobs in my Youtube videos.

Listen to this man and watch his videos. (MIC DROP)
My Other Italian V-Twin is an Italian V-Twin