Throttle Cable Routing

The 3 1/2 forum
Db7gtgrigio

Throttle Cable Routing

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

Can someone please confirm correct routing for a 1974 Sport.

Currently running down from the throttle, curves left in front of the RH lower trip clamp (touches the clamp), then run between the two fork legs and turns left under the tank, located just below the LH tank mounting boss (for the LH tank reatining screw). They are then loosely secured with a cable tie to the top frame tube before the enter the carb tops.

is this correct????
George 350

Re: Throttle Cable Routing

Post by George 350 »

Hi,
It probably depends upon whether Guiseppe or Antonio were on throttle assembly the day your bike was built, but pictures I have looked at (both contemporary and from period road tests) show the Strada having cables go downwards from the twistgrip, while the Sports ran forward over the top of the brake lever. My (later- 1978) Sport certainly came routed that way. The rest of the routing is as you describe.
That said, the advertising brochure pic (more of a painting than a photo...) for 1974/5 shows the cables exiting downwards. Personally I am always wary of brochure pics (especially the British bike ones) though, as they aren't always correct to how the bike actually built and sold in series production, yet people still insist they are correct when restoring bikes. Perhaps having the brochure image match the bike 100% is the Nirvana they are seeking.

My take on it is: Route them however it looks right/feels right to YOU. No one (sorry make that only one person) is going to pick you up on it.

Regards,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Correct in what way?

Correct in an OCD way; "I must have it exactly as it came out of the factory", or "This arrangement gives me a nice throttle action"?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Db7gtgrigio

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

EVguru wrote:Correct in what way?

Correct in an OCD way; "I must have it exactly as it came out of the factory", or "This arrangement gives me a nice throttle action"?
Well perhaps naively I assume that the factory knew best so would hope that the answer to both questions is the same but if it isn't then the later.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

"so would hope that the answer to both questions is the same but if it isn't then the later"

In that case, go for the over the brake lever routing. For me, I now have both cables go to the right of the steering head but under the fixing bolt. They are 'restrained' from moving about too much by a cable tie on the headstock gusset plate.

For any bowden cable, single axis turns are always preferable to multi axis turns.

Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Db7gtgrigio

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

i just had a look in the blue book and it shows throttle cables routed over the brake lever so hopefully both functional AND OCD original :)
penman

Post by penman »

Routing the cables over the brake lever definitely gives a better routing from the point of view of throttle action. Unfortunately, on electric start bikes it leaves the starter button pointing straight down, so you need a thumb 8 inches long to press the starter..... :(
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Db7gtgrigio

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

penman wrote:Routing the cables over the brake lever definitely gives a better routing from the point of view of throttle action. Unfortunately, on electric start bikes it leaves the starter button pointing straight down, so you need a thumb 8 inches long to press the starter..... :(
good job mine is kick start only then :)