Headlamp brackets

The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Headlamp brackets

Post by Lewes96 »

Whatever height the headlamp clamps/brackets are bolted on at on the forks the headlamp assembly seems to foul the speedo cable, causing it to have to bend a bit too sharply. Just wondering if I have the wrong brackets as they are black painted steel rather than the chrome as on most 3 1/2s. Can any one tell me the correct length of bracket?
texaskitty

Re: Headlamp brackets

Post by texaskitty »

On early 350 models with Marzocchi forks, there is the chrome bracket that fits snugly around the rubber piece, and there is the black-painted bracket that holds the headlamp itself. This bracket is sort-of triangular in shape, viewed from the side. The bottom edge is at 90 degrees to the back edge. The top edge comes off the back at an angle less than 90 degrees and then changes angle down to the headlamp mounting point. Measuring parallel to the lower edge, from the back edge to the front tip in line with the headlamp mounting hole, I get 93 mm.
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Thanks - that's what I get. Odd that it brings the headlamp a bit too close to the speedo and forces the cable off its path. When set lower the headlamp looks odd and leaves too big a gap up to the dials. Will have to keep experimenting I guess.
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

The end hole in the black bracket is elongated so you could try to make sure that the headlamp is pulled as far forward as possible before you tighten the two fixing bolts, but it might look a bit untidy; or it might look OK. On my 1980 500's speedo cable the metal outer section at the speedo end is bent backwards slightly (by the factory, not me) to create more room. I can't confirm right now if the 350 and 500 cables are interchangeable, length wise etc.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hmmm. Having read this I popped out to the garage to see how my bikes were and then realised I had made my own mounts that are similar in profile to the originals, but are 105mm front hole to back edge. As a result the speedo cable clears everything.
I must have done this many years ago as I can't remember making them! Obvious to me now as to why I did.
Choice is to either live with it, extend the 'ears' as I did, put spacers between ears and headlamp shell or put a subtle dent in the shell to give the cable some room.
Regards George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019