TEC shocks

The 3 1/2 forum
Bison

TEC shocks

Post by Bison »

Good morning folks,
Just off the phone to TEC shocks, it had crossed my mind to try a pair. The ones I was looking at are the remote reservoir adjustable damping jobs. The guy I spoke to said he has sold them for Morini fitment before, anyone reading this have them fitted?, any comments?. The Triumph forum has quite polarised reviews, reports of breaking the bottom eye off, others say they are great, the photo's of the broken ones all have the billet extensions fitted, I wonder if this has anything to do with it?. The shortest length they come in is 310, I can have a lighter spring fitted. They are a good price, but only if they're any good. I have Hagons fitted to my 1978 sport and they're OK, my '79, which is the bike I want the shocks for, has Marzocchi Strada fitted just now, might just keep them, 290mm, but the spring rates seem very high, wonder if I can get lighter springs?, I'm an athletic 75KG, well, OK, maybe I was being a bit optimistic about the "athletic" bit, but I am 75KG with me kit on!.
Any comments gratefully received.
Thanks,
Alan.
SoloFrenos

Re: TEC shocks

Post by SoloFrenos »

Good afternoon Alan,

I have a pair of these shocks fitted to my Stort, and have nothing bad to say about them. Was not aware of the breaking problem, but I don't have the extensions on. Mine are the 310mm ones, as that's the length I had previously fitted and I prefer the stance of the bike with its tail slightly raised. Now I'm not the quickest/technicalist of riders, so not sure I am best placed to tell you how they perform compared to say the Hagons, However I can tell you that I'm about 90kg (and unathletic!) in my leathers and I swapped the springs for the lighter ones as there was very little static sag (ie about 5mm) with the standard springs, and gave a very harsh ride. But with the softer springs fitted it rides very comfortably but tight if that makes sense. Not sure if they always do, but TEC supplied me with both sets of springs when I purchased them.

Sorry I cannot give you a better technical report about how they have transformed the handling (the question could be asked as to whether you could transform a Morinis handling) and i'm sure there will be plenty of people who say 'stick with Hagons because we always used them', but then that's what people said about Girlings when they first appeared :o) So for my to pennies worth I think they are a good product at a very good price and perform as well as the NJB's that came off my bike, just don't expect them to be Ohlins quality! Oh and just to really upset people I have never liked the look of Hagons, to my eye they are just look a bit skinny.

Tony

ps and Yes before people say anything, I am vain....when it come to my morini ;O)
Bison

Re: TEC shocks

Post by Bison »

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. I would definitely need the lighter springs I think, but the guy I spoke to said he would fit them for me. I was going to go for the plain remote reservoir jobs without the adjustable damping, but he said the bottom thread is attached with loctite and is very difficult to remove?, why the adjustable damping ones aren't fixed with loctite wasn't discussed?.
The springs are a larger diameter than the Hagons, but obviously they must clear the chain guard.
No need to apologise for liking a good looking bike, I do too.
Alan.